To be eligible for enrollment in a district free prekindergarten program, a child must:
- Be four years of age on or before September 1 of a given school year; Parents can complete and submit the 2018-2019 official prekindergarten application document to the school of their choice.
- Live within the boundaries of the Houston Independent School District
AND meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be homeless
- Be unable to speak or understand English
- Be economically disadvantaged
- Be the child of an active-duty member of the U.S. military or one who has been killed, injured, or missing in action while on active duty
- Child is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family code
- All children who meet any eligibility criteria for Head Start, not only those who meet the low-income eligibility criteria for Head Start.
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer as defined in Section 3106.002, a firefighter as defined in Section 3106.003, or an emergency medical first responder as defined in Section 3106.004.