Mark White Elementary will be offering the option of enrolling in a French Dual Language Immersion
Program for incoming Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students. We are
the only school in HISD and the only public school in Texas to offer the French
Students will have the option of enrolling in a traditional program or the French Dual Language Immersion Program. Two French Immersion classes will be offered at both
the Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten level for the 2016-2017 school year.
In addition, on a yearly basis, new grade levels will be added, starting
with 1st grade in 2017-2018. Students in the French Dual Language Immersion Program
will learn how to read, write, and effectively communicate in French.
Students will be spend a portion of the day learning in English and a
portion of the day learning in French. The ability to understand and
speak more than one language is not the only benefit of immersion education.
Learning a second language helps prepare students to thrive in a global
economy, and also leads to academic success in all subjects, increased critical
and creative thinking, and improved cognitive development.
Why learn French?
• More than 220 million people speak French and it is spoken on all world continents. French and English are the only languages that are taught in every country in the world. French, after English, is the second most widely learned language in the world.
• It is the official language of 32 countries.
• French is a language of the future and will be spoken by 750 million people by 2050.
• Knowing French gives students an advantage in the global marketplace. It opens up employment opportunities in all French-speaking parts of the world. This includes France, Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, North and Sub-Saharan Africa. In addition, knowing French will provide an advantage for seeking employment in international affairs, aeronautics, culinary arts, luxury good, and culture. France is the third most likely location for foreign investment.
• French is the working language and official language of the United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross and international courts.
• French is a language of travel. Knowing French allows access to traveling around the world to the 32 countries of which French is the official language.
•Learning French will make the acquisition of additional languages easier. It is a good base for
learning additional languages such as Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese.
• 50 percent of English vocabulary is derived from French.
• It is the third most used language on the internet, after English and German. Being able to understand French allows you to have a wider connection to global perspectives and events via French international media outlets.