Resolving disputes: How bonds can help
Are bonds required by state law?
Yes, they are required for all public works projects.
What type of construction bonds does HISD require?
A payment bond is required for any project $25,000 or greater. A performance bond is required for any project $100,000 or greater.
How do I know if a contractor is bonded?
Request for payment and/or performance bonds should be made to the Risk Management Department at 713-556-9225.
Does HISD offer payment dispute assistance to contractors and subcontractors?
Yes, contact the Business Assistance Department at 713-556-7273.
How does the dispute assistance process work?
- Contact the HISD Business Assistance Department to speak with a Supplier Diversity representative.
- Provide HISD representative with all pertinent information, such as contract details and pay applications.
- Meetings may be scheduled by the district so contractors can respond to disputes and remedy problems.
- If disputes are not settled to the satisfaction of the parties, Business Assistance may refer the dispute to HISD Legal and/or the Office of the Inspector General for further course of action and/or recommendation.
- A written record of all disputes will be placed in vendor(s) file with Procurement Services.
Can I file a lien against HISD for unpaid labor and materials?
No, HISD is a public entity and liens cannot be made against government agencies. This is why HISD requires bonds.
Can I make a claim against a contractor’s surety bond?
Yes, contact HISD Risk Management Department at 713-556-9225 for a copy.
Do you offer “How to do Business with HISD” workshops?
Yes, we offer workshops on the first Monday of each month beginning at 8:30 AM, in the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center, Level 1 Conference Room 1E02, 4400 West 18th Street, Houston, TX 77092-8501. For more information, call Linda McKeehan at (713) 556-7273.
PLEASE NOTE - If a holiday occurs on the first Monday of the month, our workshop will be offered the following Monday.