The Rice School/La Escuela Rice is an HISD Magnet School for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), serving grades K-8.
Our middle school is a relatively small one (approximately 480 students) that shares a campus with our elementary school of approximately 680 students.
All of our students are admitted on a magnet transfer; therefore, we have no zoned attendance.
Our students live in all parts of Houston, and approximately 90 percent utilize HISD transportation. All students must submit an application; selection is completed through a lottery process.
We embrace the diversity of our student population and accept the challenge of creating a common community of learners.
Our parents, students, and staff view The Rice School/la Escuela Rice as a unique opportunity to grow and learn.
Our Mission, Vision, & Purpose
The Rice School/La Escuela Rice will provide a diverse group of children with challenging academic experiences and the nurturing environment necessary to become lifelong learners, critical thinkers and responsible citizens in a diverse, democratic society.
We are creating a College Bound culture through effective Teaching and Learning at The Rice School
All adults at The Rice School/La Escuela Rice expect high levels of Learning for ALL students. Our commitment to this purpose is reflected in our responses to four guiding questions that frame our concept of a professional learning community
- What is it that we want all students to learn?
- How will we know when they learned?
- How will we respond when they don't learn?
- How will we respond when they demonstrate learning beyond expectations?
TENETS OF THE SCHOOL
School Histories: The story behind the name: Visit this page to
find out the history of our school.
- Public education should be high quality education.
- All children have gifts and talents that need to be recognized and nurtured.
- A technology-rich environment must be present and used as an instructional tool across all disciplines to prepare students for education and work environments.
- Every child needs and deserves at least two languages to function in a global society.
- Learning in school is most effective when it relates to real-life problems and challenges.
- Natural connections among school subjects will be emphasized through an integrated curriculum.
- The school will serve as a professional development center for HISD and other educational institutions.
- The intellectual resources of Rice University and other community institutions are key ingredients and supporting the innovative work of the school.
- Teachers are important role models for children and must be lifelong learners themselves.
- Family participation directly and positively impacts student’s achievement, and parents will be encouraged to be active in the life of the school.
- The school community should foster an atmosphere that promotes respect, responsibility, cooperation and honesty in accordance with a school honor code.
- Community service helps children develop important values and will be encouraged for all students.
- Decision-making and school governance are best carried out by those most affected; school personnel, students, parents and members of the community.