|In 1890 Magnolia Park was laid out on a 1,374-acre (556 ha) site on Harrisburg Road across Brays Bayou from Harrisburg and 7 miles (11 km) downstream from Houston. The plot was owned by Thomas M. Brady, and the community was named for the 3,750 magnolias planted by developers. The Magnolia Park community was organized in 1909. The city incorporated in 1913. |
Magnolia Park originally had non-Hispanic White Americans. Mexican-Americans from South Texas started to settle in Magnolia Park in 1911. Many Mexicans fleeing the Mexican Revolution settled in Magnolia Park. Magnolia Park was annexed to Houston in October 1926. All of Magnolia Park is zoned to Edison Middle School.
(1913 zone map of the City of Houston)
Typical Class of 1940
In 1985, the old Edison Junior High School building was torn down to make room for Edison Middle School.