School at St. George Place Standards for Use of Privately Owned Mobile Devices on Campus (BYOD)This standard covers the use of privately owned computing or communication devices on campus. This practice is also known as “Bring Your Own Device”, or BYOD. All users of personally owned mobile devices must abide by the District Acceptable Use Policy and Student code of conduct. Devices considered “BYOD” candidates include but are not limited to the use of:
• Laptop or netbook computers
• Tablet or slate computers or similar devices
• iPad, iPod Touch or similar devices
• eReaders such as the Kindle, Nook or similar devices
• Internet capable smart phones, such as the iPhone, Android, Blackberry, or similar devices
- An individual who brings his/her privately owned electronic device to school is personally responsible for the equipment. HISD will not be held responsible for lost, stolen or damaged equipment and it is the responsibility of the student to safeguard his/her mobile device while on school property.
- Lost/Stolen devices must be reported to the S@SGP principal, Adam Stephens.
- HISD is not responsible for any maintenance, repair, support or damage to personal mobile devices.
- BYOD device may only connect to the designated “HISD - Guest” network. Under no circumstances, a personal device may be connected to the “Secure” network.
- HISD does not provide nor is responsible for software residing on the BYOD devices. This includes but is not limited to applications and operating systems.
- Whenever possible, an antivirus agent must be installed on privately owned devices. It is recommended that the software is updated regularly in order to safeguard the device against viruses and malicious software.
- HISD administration, faculty and staff retain the right to remove access to the HISD-Guest network.
- There should not be an expectation of privacy when using the district HISD-Guest network. The district is not responsible for the privacy or security of any data stored or transmitted by any privately owned devices.
- All audible notification alerts on BYOD devices must be set to “silent”.
- District faculty and / or staff may remove the access to the network and the internet and suspend the right to use the privately owned device on campus at any time if it is determined that the user is engaged in unauthorized activity or is violating the Acceptable Use Policy or student code of conduct.
- Campus personnel should monitor student compliance with this standard. (see usage standards below)
If a personal device is connected to the public cellular network or other network outside of the control of HISD, HISD is not responsible for maintaining CIPA compliance, however the student will be held to the guidelines of the code of student conduct.Approved Times and Locations for BYOD Device Usage at the School at St. George Place:
- Classrooms with teacher approval as appropriate for the instructional activity.
- Failure to comply with the BYOD policy will result in disciplinary action.
- Confiscated BYOD devices will be placed in the Business Office and will be available for pick up after 3:15pm.