Our guidelines will create a comfortable and productive learning environment throughout the semester.
Student Expectations for the Classroom:
· Follow Classroom rules
· Be on time
· Be prepared for class
· Be considerate and respectful
· Show respect for school property and students
· Hand in assignments on time
· Wait to be dismissed by the teacher and not the bell
· Use an inside voice
· Actively participate in class discussions
· Stay seated during classroom activities and events
· Help each other
· Work quietly and follow directions
· Ask for help if you don’t understand
· Be in your assigned seat when the bell rings
· Raise your hand before speaking
You can expect me:
· To start and end class on time.
· To reply to e-mails within 24 hours on weekdays and 48 hours on weekends.
· To assign homework that adequately covers the material and meets the learning objectives of the course while adhering to the time expectations for a 9 unit course.
· To give exams that accurately reflects the material covered in class and assigned in homework.
Participation in Class Discussion
Class participation is a very important part of the learning process in this course. Although not explicitly graded, you will be evaluated on the QUALITY of your contributions and insights. Quality comments possess one or more of the following properties:
· Offers a different and unique, but relevant, perspective;
· Contributes to moving the discussion and analysis forward;
· Builds on other comments;
· Transcends the “I feel” syndrome. That is, it includes some evidence, argumentation, or recognition of inherent tradeoffs. In other words, the comment demonstrates some reflective thinking.
· I don’t know is not an acceptable answer. You may ask for additional think time, consult another student after requesting permission to do so.
· Be prepared
o Have materials with you and know due dates.
· Be a polite and positive participant
o Speak in a normal tone of voice, and listen attentively.
· Be productive
o Turn in work on time, and always do your best.
· Be a problem solver
o Correct problems quickly and peacefully before they escalate.