About Jack Yates High School
A Brief History of Jack Yates Senior High School
Jack Yates Senior High School opened its doors on February 8, 1926 establishing the second school for children of color in the city of Houston. On its opening day, the school had a staff of 17 teachers, and a total of 600 students.
Our school is named after the Reverend Jack Yates, a former slave who eventually became one of the most influential leaders of Fourth Ward Houston in the 19th century. Reverend Yates founded both Bethel and Antioch Baptist Churches, around which the Fourth Ward grew, and sponsored many other churches and schools in hopes of developing youth as leaders.
James D. Ryan served as the first principal of the campus from its opening in 1926 until his death in 1941. Originally located at 2610 Elgin, at the former James D. Ryan Middle School site (now the Baylor College of Medicine at Ryan), the campus moved to its current location at 3703 Sampson Street in 1958.
Our campus has nurtured the talents of world class artists, athletes, musicians, journalists, lawyers, engineers, politicians, doctors and other professionals. Located in the heart of Houston’s Third Ward Community; Jack Yates High School is proud of its legacy of excellence, and aims to continue to provide its scholars with a world-class education.
(L) Photograph of the Reverend Jack Yates
(R) Last original Jack Yates Faculty, including Ms. Hazel Hainsworth Young (second from the left), recipient of the HISD Special Lifetime Achievement Award for that honors her 82 years of service to HISD and the Jack Yates Community