Connecting by Sharing Concerns
Advocacy Focus, East Early College High School
Monday, October 2, 2017
Essential Question (Why?): What are the reasons we have communication conflicts with our peers?
Identifying Concerns Round
- The students will participate in a Circle Discussion in which they will share their response to the Essential Questions.
- Create a circle and make sure the students can all face each other and hear one another.
- Select an object that can serve as the "Talking Piece"- move the talking piece clockwise- only the person holding this object can speak; everyone else should be listening respectfully and silently.
- Assure that everyone has spoken and because the advocacy group is large perhaps set a time of no more than 30 seconds of speaking time per student (10-12 minutes for the whole group to speak).
- Once everyone has spoken, open the circle, this time students can provide advice and or solutions to one advocacy member (5-8 minutes for the round of discussion).
Reflection and Discourse
1. Why is it important to serve as each other's support system without judgment?