*** If you are interested in competing in any of the UIL, NFL, or TFA debate events, please contact Ms. Stephanie Chen (SCHEN2@houstonisd.org). PLEASE NOTE: All of Carnegie's students are welcome to attend & participate in either the UIL or the HUDL league. However, each league has a different campus sponsor (for the purposes of registration & team policies that are specific to that league.)
Welcome to the CVHS webpage for the "HUDL" Debate Team*!!
The CVHS "HUDL" debate team exclusively attends the tournaments & events hosted by the Houston Urban Debate League (HUDL).
This student-centered debate team offers an amazing array of events and support to Houston-area high school debaters.
CVHS *HUDL* DEBATE COACHES/CLUB SPONSORS:
Kris Casperson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Heather Hill (HHILL4@houstonisd.org)
6 Debate Tournaments / year (including the city championship!)
*FREE* 1-week (all-inclusive) HUDL debate camp @ the University of Houston every summer!
Occasional instructional seminars (led by lawyers, college professors & other experts on competitive debate) offered on Saturdays
What you can expect when you participate in HUDL debate events:
- Access to a variety of debate events (LD, CX, World Schools, Public Forum) offered at both the J-V and Varsity levels.
- Support, guidance and mentorship regardless of your level of experience! (ALL skill levels welcome!)
- Dedicated competitors: HUDL participants often make personal sacrifices (of their personal time) to research and hone their skills. (You will find fiercely dedicated and enthusiastic competitors at all skill levels. And, with the support of our HUDL club & coaches, you never need to feel like you are on your own.)
- A positive, encouraging, and rewarding environment that will mentor you as your debating prowess evolves. (HUDL events offer a collegial atmosphere for all involved)
- Extensive opportunities for student growth & development provided by HUDL. (*FREE* summer camp opportunities, instructional seminars, & expert campus tutors)
- Extensive opportunities for student growth & development provided by CVHS. (student-led HUDL debate team and 2 highly-involved debate coaches)
- Networking: you will develop a camaraderie of inter-campus relationships (as you get to know and bond with the other HUDL participants)
- Networking: you will meet (and be mentored by) local attorneys, competitive college debaters (and graduates), & other HS debate coaches.
- Opportunities to earn "community service hours" if you elect to serve as a judge at any of HISD's middle school debate tournaments.
- An annual city championship tournament that is held at the Bob Casey Federal Courthouse, giving you a chance to debate in a *real* courtroom! :)
- Access to exclusive internship and scholarship programs that are offered to HUDL debaters from the surrounding community and the League sponsors.
- Meals: all HUDL events will provide *free* meals for participants and community volunteers.
CVHS HUDL DEBATE TEAM:
The HUDL debate club President is: Pranav Kumar
The HUDL debate club Vice-President is: Ruofan Liu
The HUDL debate club Secretary is: Raahim Siddiqui
The HUDL “PF Expert” is: Anjni Patel
The HUDL “Congress Expert” is: Nikhil Vinod
The HUDL “LD Expert” is: Nishaanth Kadiyala
Our campus "HUDL" debate team meets in Casperson's classroom (103) every week, during the 2nd 1/2 of lunch, on Mondays.
PLEASE ATTEND THESE WEEKLY MEETINGS TO STAY UP-TO-DATE ON THE UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS AND TEAM NEWS.
Congratulations to Javier Rodriguez & Ananya Luthria!
HUDL's 3rd place JV Championship CX CHAMPS!