Finding My Happiness!
Prepping for a Socratic Seminar (Video)
Advocacy Focus, East Early College High School
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Essential Question: What is happiness?
Task: The students will participate in a Socratic Seminar for the article and video- focusing on "Happiness"
Show the Video:
- Video- This video will reiterate and strengthen the ideas in the article.
- Notes- As the student watches the video, remind them to follow the same approach as the article:
- As you view the video, write down any questions you have about the information/or the speaker's perspective.
- Also, you can write down ideas that you strongly agree and disagree with- explain why you feel the way you do.
- Create any questions you want the answer for? - Maybe you need more information from the speaker or clarification, etcetera.
Video Links: (Same Video- just different sources and lengths)
Robert Waldinger: What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness (12 Minutes-TEDTalk)
https://youtu.be/q-7zAkwAOYg (15 Minutes-YouTube)
Socratic Seminar Expectations— The students will have two roles throughout the Socratic Seminar: Student and Facilitator
- As a Student: during the discussion, you will interact only with the other students in the circle, refer to the text as much as possible, speak loudly and clearly, listen respectfully to the other students, share the air time, and stay focused on the question provided by the facilitator.
- As a Facilitator: during the student discussion, you are responsible for providing high-level questions, redirecting students, remind soft-spoken speakers to speak up/or speak clearly, encourage other facilitators to ask questions/to redirect students. Remember to be extremely polite—avoid harsh directions and redirects. Your goal is to motivate everyone to share an idea/or perspective.
*If you have a different format for Socratic Seminar that you are move comfortable with, then please provide that information to your advocacy group. The important part is that we expose them to effective expectations and experiences with Socratic Seminar.
Reflection and Discourse
Discuss: Are there any concerns students have about the Socratic Seminar? They will participate in the SS the following Monday.