April 9, 2021
Thank you to those of you who joined me at lunch to hear about our plans for the Class of 2021. While this is not how we imagined your senior year would be, we are trying to make it as celebratory and memorable as possible. I again commend you for your resilience and courage throughout the last 18 months. Many of you have found ways to think outside the box and your creativity and dedication to your art and making things “work” during the year has been impressive.
To recap our discussion today, I am sending you bulleted points as we enter the final stretch of your senior year.
Prom, originally scheduled for April 23rd, has been cancelled. The high school principals of the Northwest Area have met several times to discuss the safety of such an event as COVID continues to impact social interaction. There is a consensus that there is no way to hold the event in a way that allows for the enforcing of social distancing, while maintaining the spirit of what a prom should be. No high schools in the Northwest Area will have a prom this school year.
Senior Activities- April and May
Seniors who select Remote learning for the final cycle (May 3-June 11) may attend events but will have to do COVID-19 screenings and temperature readings when on campus or at events.
- Thursday, April 22 – 11:30 am -To celebrate the countdown of your final 50 days as high school seniors, we have planned an “Afternoon at the Aquarium.” Lunch will be provided, and seniors will receive an all-day pass granting unlimited access to the exhibits and rides for the day including the Ferris Wheel, Carousel, Lighthouse Dive, and Shark Voyage Train. Masks are required when not eating or drinking and social distancing is required. (This is an asynchronous day of learning.)
- Friday, April 23 – All seniors may leave at the beginning of lunch (which begins at 11:35 am). NOTE: If a student has a failing grade or any NG's in any course from the fall and/or spring semester you are NOT permitted to leave early. Those students must remain on campus will attend all classes for the day as regularly scheduled.
- Thursday, May 27 – Senior Panoramic Picture! This will be taken on campus at the end of 3rd period/beginning of lunch. NOTE: This expense is not included in your Senior Fees.
- Friday, May 28 – Senior Happening and Picnic at Discovery Green. Seniors dismissed at lunch. Panoramic Picture orders can be picked up in the commons before going to Picnic.
Commencement Events - June
- Performances and Senior Awards at Discovery Green
- Tuesday, June 1 – Dance and Theatre – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, June 2 – Creative Writing and Visual Arts – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, June 3 – Instrumental and Vocal Music – 7:00 pm
Tickets are required. Each senior will be allocated 4 tickets for guests. Chairs will be arranged socially distanced.
- Monday, June 7 - Senior Signing Day activity in the Commons during the school day. (Students only)
- Thursday, June 10 – Senior yearbook signing and ice cream social/cap and gown distribution
- Friday, June 11 – 9:00 am – Senior breakfast and graduation rehearsal at HSPVA
Seniors must attend to participate in the evening graduation ceremony
- Friday, June 11 – 8:00 pm – Graduation at Barnett Stadium – Details about number of tickets per graduate to be provided by HISD are unknown at this time.
We will be communicating more details about the events and activities closer to the dates they occur.
Senior fees cover these events as well as caps and gowns, diplomas and art area certificates, and other graduation expenses. Please note that the prom has never been part of senior fees. We still have 45 seniors who have not paid the $250 fee and we will be sending an e-mail as a reminder to pay these fees, to cover expenses. Once costs are finalized, if a balance exists we will offer a refund of that amount to all seniors who have paid the fees.
Again, we are working hard to make these last few weeks of your senior year fun and special, and it is also very important to remain focused on your classes. We still have nine weeks left and it is my hope that we have 100% of you walking the stage and graduating from HSPVA on June 11th!