Technology Policy & Resources
COMPUTERS, INTERNET & EMAIL POLICY
All HISD students are granted access to all electronic services available. If you DO NOT want your student to have access to electronic services, please complete and submit the opt-out form and access will be denied. The use of the network is a privilege, not a right, and may be revoked if abused. Misuse, damage, or vandalism of HISD technology resources may also lead to disciplinary and/or legal action, including suspension, expulsion, or criminal prosecution by governmental authorities. The complete HISD Acceptable Use Policy for Electronic Services for Students and the opt-out form may be accessed on the HISD and Pershing MS Website.
In compliance with the Children's Internet Protection Act ("CIPA"), the Houston Independent School District is required to adopt and implement an Internet safety policy addressing: (a) access by minors to inappropriate matter on the Internet; (b) the safety and security of minors when using electronic mail, chat rooms, and other forms of direct electronic communications; (c) unauthorized access, including so-called “hacking,” and other unlawful activities by minors online; (d) unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal information regarding minors; and (e) measures restricting minors’ access to materials harmful to them. Furthermore, each campus educates students on cyber bullying, appropriate online behavior, and social networking as required by Broadband Data Improvement Act.
- HISD has implemented filtering and/or blocking software to restrict access to Internet sites containing pornography, obscene depictions, or other materials harmful to minors under 18 years of age, to the extent practicable, while using its network. This control also applies to other forms of communication such as e-mail, chat rooms, social networking sites, instant messaging, etc. However, no software is foolproof, and there is still a risk a user may be exposed to a site or message containing such materials.
- The student’s parent or guardian is responsible for supervising and monitoring all computer usage that occurs outside the HISD network.
- Students shall not reveal personal information, including name, home address, telephone number, photos, etc. on the Internet. The students are advised never to access, keep, or send anything that they would not want the public to see.
- Students shall not meet in person with anyone they have met only online.
- The user is personally responsible for his or her actions in accessing and utilizing the school's computer resources.
- Students must abide by all laws, regulations, the Code of Student Conduct, Acceptable Use Policy, and other related HISD security policies.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Under FERPA, parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student’s education records maintained by the school. Students and qualified parents can view certain educational records of the student online through HISD’s Parent Student Connect portal.
Acceptable and Unacceptable Actions
HISD students may use the network and electronic services provided by HISD to pursue educational activities. Students will be expected to follow accepted rules of network etiquette. Improper use of electronic services provided by HISD is prohibited. Be prepared to be held accountable for your actions and for the loss of privileges if this Acceptable Use Policy is violated. The HISD Code of Student Conduct addresses the consequences for violations
Marty Daniel, Teacher Technology SpecialistI believe that 21st Century Students need 21st Century tools. I've been working in schools with technology for over 30 years. This is my 3rd year at Pershing Middle School and I have really come to love the Pershing Family. When I'm not working, I love spending time with my family including my two grandsons.Use this site to learn about the different resources here at Pershing.
Cyber Safety - Protect your privacy! It's important!
Watch the video about online scams for identity theft - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5aGWPRpHSI
Students and teachers log into Google Drive using their HISD email. Student's email is S and their student ID @online.houstonisd.org. For example, if the ID # is 1234567 then the email would be S1234567@houstonsid.org. Once inside their Google Drive, they can click on the Classroom site.Here they can access assignments from teachers and submit them when they are complete.
Digital CitizenshipEvery student at Pershing receives a Digital Citizenship lesson each year. It's important to stay updated for both parents and students. You can find out more at Houston ISD's ...