Pin Oak Orchestra
Debbie Elafros, Director
Welcome to Online Learning for Pin Oak Orchestra!
Assignments for the week of May 11
See message for the week here.
Assignments for the week of May 4
See message for the week here.
Assignments for the week of April 27
See message for the week here.
Assignments for the week of April 20-24
See message for the week here
Assignments for the week of April 13-17-2020
You should continue with the Bingo Card and the Breezin' Thru Theory this week. By Sunday you should have 9 Bingo squares and 3 chapters of the music theory completed. Many of you are working ahead and have completed that already! :)
A couple of things to remember:
1) At the end of each theory drill to click Done and Submit Drill. That is what sends it back to me showing completion.
2) When you complete the Bingo Squares please enter your email address on the google form. This will send you an email that confirms to you that the square was submitted. A few of you have been using my email address which sends the confirmation to me. :)
3) Intermediate Orchestra members don't forget about the Advanced Orchestra Audition. Email me if you have questions or if you need help with practicing it.
Remember that I am available every day from 1-3, but will also respond to emails at other times as soon as I see them. I am happy to help you through email or even having an online meeting.
I miss making music with you everyday and I look forward to seeing you again.
Assignments for the week of April 6-9-2020
Please continue with the Bingo Card and the Breezin' through Theory this week. I see many of you making a lot of progress!!
Remember that you can email me at anytime if you have questions or problems submitting things. The Theory program was overwhelmed last week with so many people using it. They have added more capacity to their website so it should be easier to access. Don't worry if you have problems. Just try again at another time. I will extend the due date and time for anyone who has trouble accessing the website. Just do your best to get it done! :)
By the end of this week you should have completed Chapters 1 and 2 of the theory and at least 6 Bingo squares. Because there were problems logging into the theory site this week I have excused anyone who didn't complete Chapter 1 from that assignment last week. This doesn't mean that I don't want you to do it, just complete both Chapters 1 and 2 this week.
When you complete the Bingo Squares please use the google form to turn it in rather than emailing me. This puts all of your responses together in one place. Also, when the google form asks for an email address you should put your (or your parent's) email address instead of mine.
Let me know if you are having trouble logging in to the theory website. It should be easier now because the added more capacity. Also, if you don't understand the lessons please let me know. I am happy to help you through email or even having an online meeting.
Don't forget about the Advanced Orchestra Audition. Email me for help and with any questions you might have!
Let me know if you need any assistance! Remember that I am available every day from 1-3, but will also respond to emails at other times as soon as I see them.
I miss seeing you everyday and making music and I look forward to seeing you again.
I hope that all of you are doing well and staying healthy. I wish that we were all able to meet and make music together, but unfortunately that isn’t possible right now. Making music with other people is one of my most favorite things to do and I am missing being able to do that with all of you.
You will have 2 weekly assignments for Orchestra. These will be due each week on Sunday by 8 pm.
I will be available from 1-3 each afternoon for questions. You can also email me at anytime and I will respond as soon as I see it.
Assignment 1: Orchestra Bingo-Complete 3 squares each week
Below is the link to a bingo card filled with different activities for you to accomplish. We are going for a Blackout game-I would like for you to do all of the activities over the weeks that we are out of school. Some of the squares involve using your instruments and I’m hoping that those of you who don’t have them at home will find a creative way to complete them! Email me if you need an alternate activity for one of the boxes.
You can find the Bingo Card using this link.
- Each square has an activity for you to complete and a link to a google form where you will upload information to show that you have completed the work.
- You may do these activities in any order, but you will receive a grade in Gradespeed for completing 3 activities a week. You can work ahead. Any additional activities that you complete will be credited to you in the weeks in the future.
- Some of the activities will require you to use documents that will be found in a google folder for your instrument. I sent those links via email. If you didn't receive it let me know and I will send it to you.
- Remember: Complete 3 squares a week and complete the google form. This will be a weekly grade in Gradespeed. You can work ahead if you would like.
Assignment 2: Breezin' Thru Theory-Complete 1 Chapter each week
Breezin' Thru Theory is an online theory program that will be a good review for some of you and others will be able to really improve their note reading skills.
You can access Breezin’ Thru Theory using this link.
- I sent an email with login instructions and more information about this website. If you didn't receive it, let me know and I will be sure that you receive it.
- Remember: Your assignment is to complete one chapter a week. Each chapter will be a grade in Gradespeed. You can work ahead if you would like.
Advanced Orchestra Audition
For those in Intermediate Orchestra, this is the time to let me know that you are interested in moving into Advanced Orchestra by learning the audition music and sending me a recording of you playing it.
- I sent an email with instructions for the audition and links to a google folder that contains the sheet music for the audition, as well as recordings to help you know what it should sound like. If you didn't receive it, let me know.
General Information on the Orchestra at Pin Oak Middle School
There is an orchestra for all students who are interested, whether they are very advanced, have no experience on an instrument, or are somewhere in between! Students will be placed in an orchestral ensemble at the discretion of the director based on the student's audition, achievement from the previous year, and/or recommendations of previous instructors.
Orchestra students learn different styles of music and have the opportunity to perform in numerous venues. In recent years, Pin Oak Orchestras have performed in Region Orchestra, The Renaissance Festival, UIL Solo and Ensemble, and Fiesta Texas! 7th and 8th Graders can also travel to New York and Disneyworld!
Playing an instrument engages all areas of the brain and stimulates intellectual, creative and social capabilities leading to more self confidence and higher self esteem. Not only that, it's fun!!!
Sign up for Orchestra! You'll be glad you did!!
Beginning Orchestra is for students who have no previous experience on a string instrument. This class will focus on basic posture and position, tone production, rhythm, notereading and ear training. Beginning students are required to attend all scheduled rehearsals and concerts. Individual practice outside of classtime is expected of students for successful mastery of performance standards.
Students in Intermediate Orchestra have at least one year of experience. This class will focus on notereading, more complex rhythms, posture and ensemble technique. More advanced techniques, such as vibrato and shifting, will be introduced. Students with private teachers are encouraged to audition for the Region Orchestra and to participate in the Solo and Ensemble Contest. All students in Intermediate Orchestra will participate in the UIL Concert/Sightreading Contest and are required to attend all scheduled rehearsals and concerts. Individual practice outside of school is expected of students for successful mastery of performance standards.
Students in Advanced Orchestra have at least one year of playing experience and have been placed in Advanced Orchestra through an audition with the orchestra director. This class will focus on developing vibrato, shifting, extensions and musicianship to a higher level. Students in Advanced Orchestra are strongly encouraged to take lessons with a private teacher, audition for Region Orchestra and to participate in Solo and Ensemble Contest. All students in Advanced Orchestra will participate in the UIL Concert/Sight-reading Contest and are required to attend all scheduled rehearsals and concerts. Individual practice outside of school is expected of students for successful mastery of performance standards.