Teacher: Ms. Beckman
Welcome, students and parents, to Pin Oak Middle School's Photography Class page! The purpose of this website is to share with you the latest news for our beginning and advanced photography classes; student artworks; and photography resources in the Houston area - all in a way that reduces paper waste. Throughout the semester, I will update the website with important information - such as assignments - so please mark your calendar to check back frequently. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via e-mail.
Students will learn the basics of digital photography including camera parts and functions, proper handing of a camera, relating the art elements and principles to photography, and making “good” photographs. Students will refine their photography skills through a focus on composition and light, practice various genres of photography such as portraiture and photojournalism, and explore more creative approaches to photography.
Students will apply their skills to more in-depth photography assignments, develop a theme across their work, and incorporate meaning and messages into their work.
Expectations & Class Policies
During photography class, students are expected to…
1. arrive to class on time, with all supplies, and prepared to work.
2. be respectful of the teacher, all students, all artwork, and all equipment, including their own.
3. be silent when the teacher or another student is speaking to the class.
4. follow directions the first time they are given.
5. work quietly and use time wisely.
6. submit all assignments on or before their deadlines.
Disregard of these expectations will be reflected in photography grades.
Students are not permitted to work on assignments for other classes during photography class time even if they have completed their photography assignment. Also, students are not permitted to use classroom computers for anything other than photography assignments.
Bathroom breaks are not permitted during class time. Students should use the bathroom before school, between classes, and at lunch. If you have a medical need to use the bathroom during class Ms. Beckman will need a note from a parent or doctor.
As per school policy, cell phones are not permitted in class. If seen, they will be confiscated and taken to the front office where a $15 fee is required to get them back.
Students are not permitted to use the teacher's phone for any reason. Phone calls should be made from the front office before/after school, between classes, or at lunch.
Notes, Prep Work, Proposals............30%
10% will be deducted from grade when an assignment is submitted after the deadline.
Degrees and Certifications:
- Photography and Painting at the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts - B.F.A. in Painting from University of Houston - B.S. in Psychology from University of Houston - M.Ph. in Social Psychology from City University of New York
About Ms. Beckman
I love photography, painting, drawing, cooking, travel, and most of all my two dachshunds.