From Mrs. Landry on May 18, 2020
Good afternoon our amazing Class of 2020!
Here you are- your last week of high school. I hope you enjoyed the senior art shows this afternoon, are surviving AP exams, and are still safe and well!
What follows is A. LOT. OF. INFORMATION. If there ever was a time to read all the way to the end for detail- and then read it again- this is it! There is a message from Dr. Allen, the Guidance Department, and myself.
Items highlighted in YELLOW will require action. Items highlighted in BLUE are important/may require action and we ask that you please note the instructions.
FROM DR. ALLEN
Good afternoon. I write today with a lot of information about May 22nd and June 5th. Our goal is to keep all students and adults as safe as possible with the use of social distancing and proper PPE and close out the school year the smoothest way possible. I thank you once again for the patience and understanding that you have shown us since March 12th. You have all been amazing.
PROM AND SENIOR FEES REFUND
My hope from the time we realized that a prom and most senior activities would most likely not happen, was to be able to offer a full refund to our seniors. While some of the fees have been used on things like cap and gowns and as nonrefundable down payments on venues, I am pleased to be able to offer full refunds. Refunds or not, seniors will still get caps and gowns this Friday.
Senior fees were $250 ($260 if paid late) and prom tickets were $90 ($100 if paid late). The following options are available for those who have already paid for the 2020 Senior Fees and/or the HSPVA Prom:
OPTION 1: Donate your fee(s)
This option asks you to consider donating your fee(s) to offset the expenses incurred prior to releasing for COVID19, we very much appreciate your consideration. To do this, email Ms. Herrera (firstname.lastname@example.org) and simply state that you would like to donate either or both fees. Please include your name, your student’s name, and a telephone number in case we need to contact you, in the e-mail.
OPTION 2: Refund your fee(s)
Request a refund by contacting the Ms. Herrera at email@example.com.
Please include the following information:
- Student Name
- Parent Names
- Home Address (Checks will be mailed by HISD)
- Telephone number
- Email address
*If you paid with School Pay you must send us a copy of the receipt. That can be accessed and printed at http://www.schoolpay.com
We ask that you contact us by June 1st with your decision. Please be patient as we process refunds. HISD will mail checks after Ms. Herrera submits refund requests. Thank you for your help with this.
KINDER HSPVA SENIOR CAMPUS DROP OFF/PICK UP/CAP AND GOWN PHOTOS – FRIDAY, MAY 22, 2020
On May 22nd we will have you on campus for cap and gown pickup, technology drop off, locker clean out, and cap and gown photos. In order to keep building capacity at 25% or below and to help with social distancing, we will have you come by art area. Please note, there is an end of day makeup time in case a student is taking an AP exam or has another reason the scheduled time will not work.
The schedule for art areas arrival will be:
8:00 am Visual Arts
9:00 am Creative Writing
9:30 am Dance
10:00 am Band/Jazz/Piano
10:45 am Mariachi/Orchestra
11:30 am Theatre
12:15 pm LUNCH BREAK
1:00 pm Vocal
1:30 pm Makeup Time for students not attending an above session
2:30 pm Seniors taking AP Stats Exam at 1:00 pm
4:00 pm Campus Closed
Please arrive and park in the parking garage. This helps with the social distancing flow of the process. A reminder that one parent can assist if you need extra help with gathering personal belongings. We will also offer a bus drive drop off/pickup if you choose to not to enter the building. If you would like to take advantage of this, please e-mail Mr. Tellez by Wednesday, May 20th, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAP AND GOWN PHOTOS
We are working with Houston ISD and Herff Jones to submit items to make our 2020 Virtual Graduation as special as possible. The first thing we must do is submit a cap and gown photo of each senior. Because of the recently communicated timeline, we had to move cap and gown photos to this Friday. While picking things up and dropping things off is important on Friday, the most important thing to me is taking your cap and gown photo.
When you arrive at the times listed below, you will go the to the hallway near the backstage area of the Denney with your PPE on. Thanks to a small army of helpers, Caps and Gowns will be hung, steamed free of wrinkles, and ready to be put on. Cords, caps, and tassels will also be in an envelope with your name. We will also have the art area hoods ready for you. You will dress with socially distanced assistance from the staff before going onstage in the Denney. If heels are worn, you might want to bring comfortable shoes for gathering things and completing tasks after pictures are taken.
TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE FRIDAY:
You need to decide what you would like to do for pictures (we can do one or both):
- Take a photo with Dr. Allen and diploma cover at 6’ distance or next to one another with no handshake. No masks.
- Take an individual photo with diploma. (This is what will be used in Virtual Graduation ceremony)
If you do not plan to take a cap and gown photo, we are asking you to e-mail Mr. Klein at email@example.com by Friday morning, May 22nd, in order for us to talk through photo options for the Virtual Graduation.
Details on how to purchase these images will be sent out later this week.
OVERVIEW OF THE STUDENT CLEAN OUT PROCESS
- Social distancing and proper wearing of PPE including masks and gloves are always required while on campus. The district will provide PPE.
- Students will arrive and all park in the garage and enter using staircase D where students will receive a checklist and then proceed to Staircase C to go down and take cap and gown photos.
- After taking cap and gown photos in the Denney, students will go upstairs to turn in technology and then check-in with their art areas.
- Finally, students will go down to the Commons, turn in key cards in the 1st floor office, pick up their senior gift, and exit to the garage using the elevator.
- Students are also reminded to clear out academic lockers if they have anything in them and to visit the nurse if they have any medications needing to be picked up.
- All students will exit to the garage using the elevator after receiving their senior gifts.
- A To Do sheet will be given you arrive on campus (Senior Check Out) and the items to be turned in will be printed on the back (Items to Return). Please check the lists included at the bottom of this message before arriving at school in order to bring all items.
Gather Items from Commons/Depart
(Key Cards/Senior Gift)
Visual Arts (33)
Creative Writing (19)
Band (15)/Jazz (4)/Piano (3)
Mariachi (9)/Orchestra (17)
Photo Worker Lunch Break
JUNE 5TH : CITY OF HOUSTON TRIBUTE TO CLASS OF 2020
The city of Houston is holding a Class of 2020 recognition ceremony on June 5th and that begins at 6:30 pm. This is not a graduation, but rather a time to gather you together and celebrate. Seniors will wear their caps and gowns and the city’s part of the evening will be broadcast on local stations for people to tune in and watch. We will gather seniors at HSPVA for social distanced fellowship and refreshments and then walk to Discovery Green for the ceremony. The folks at Discovery Green and Houston First are going out of their way to make this an amazing event for the HSPVA Class of 2020. Per HISD, no parents allowed in building.
- Park in garage/Dropped off at front entrance
- Everyone must wear proper PPE
- All individuals must maintain 6 feet apart distancing.
- No physical contact to be allowed (hugging, handshakes, etc.).
- Students are required to wear masks. These will be provided at front door, 1st floor elevator, 2nd Floor Stairwell D.
- Caps and gowns
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Students may tastefully decorate mortar boards (This is usually NOT allowed but I decided to make an exception during these exceptional times for an exceptional class.)
- Students arrive and, using social distancing, move to Commons for refreshments.
- Limit of two students at a time on elevator/Students may use stairways from garage.
Move to Commons
Depart for Program
Creative Writing (19)
(48: 15B 4J 9M 17O 3P)
Visual Arts (33)
After the celebration, we will walk back to HSPVA to have dessert and distribute senior packets. You will then leave for home. It does not seem possible for diplomas and art area certificates to be ready by June 5th, so we will arrange for a drive through distribution once those are at school.
A reminder that the virtual graduation will be available on June 14th at 1:00 pm. More details to follow about that.
Balfour publishes our yearbook and everything was submitted for this year’s edition before COVID-19 shut things down. They have just reopened and are working on yearbooks for high schools throughout the country. We know that they will not arrive before the middle of June, but they will arrive. We will have a plan for distributing those to students once they get to campus.
That was a lot! Please review all the information and let me know if you have questions. I cannot wait to see you from a distance on Friday!
Seniors and Senior Parents,
It is time to complete your HSPVA Senior End of Year Survey and HSPVA Senior Parent End of Year Survey. It doesn’t take much time to complete and it helps us know about your experiences and how we can continue building on HSPVA tradition to make it an incredible experience for all students.
- Please log into your personal or parent Naviance account
- Click on About Me
- Click on My Surveys
- Click on Surveys Not Started
- Click on HSPVA- Senior Survey
The survey results are anonymous and very helpful, thank you so much!
FROM MRS. LANDRY
Make sure you are checking out our amazing showcases each day!
- May 18 - 4 pm - Visual Arts Senior Show (Jaime Alsenz, Sebastian Covington, Isabella Mueller)
- May 18 - 7 pm - Senior Happening
- May 19 - 7 pm - Virtual Vocal Senior Limelight
- May 20 - 7 pm - AAPA Asian American Heritage Month Program (Rescheduled)
- May 21 - 6:30 pm Senior Awards
- May 25 - 4 pm - Visual Arts Senior Show (Sarah Perkison, Jack Salazar)
- May 27 - 6:30 pm Underclassmen Awards
- TBD - Jazz Senior Performance
WHEW! I know that was a lot! I will post all items on your senior page – and I will separate out in different sections for ease of locating things.
Let us know if you have any questions. Can’t wait to see you all on Friday!!!