What is the Difference between Non Tuition (TEA Eligible) and Tuition (TEA Non-Eligible)?
Student is eligible for enrollment for Non Tuition prekindergarten by meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Child is homeless
- Child unable to speak or understand English
- Child is economically disadvantaged
- Child of an active-duty member of the U.S. military or one who has been killed, injured, or missing in action while on active duty
- Child is or has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing
- Child meets any eligibility criteria for Head Start
- Child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer, a firefighter, or an emergency medical first responder
- Further details on how Non Tuition Enrollment by visiting HISD Early Childhood’s website by clicking here
Tuition-based students can only be enrolled into an HISD prekindergarten program once all eligible students have been enrolled. There is no guarantee that a tuition-based program will be available as it is based on the enrollment of eligible students, which varies from year to year. Further details on how Tuition-based Enrollment works by visiting HISD Early Childhood’s website by clicking here.
*The PreK enrollment transfer type requires principal approval and that this decision is made at the campus level.