Dear Parent and Student,
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year at Sharpstown International School. My name is Mr. S. Cruz, and I will be your Advocacy teacher. Advocacy is the first class of the day every day. It is like a homeroom. We meet In Advocacy from 7:45 a.m. to 8:20 a.m. Breakfast will be served to all students in Advocacy free of charge.
Advocacy is a time for students to make connections with other students and with me, their Advocate. We will be busy in Advocacy doing many things such as
· Develop school spirit and pride,
· Issue lockers,
· Receive important school related communications,
· Build stronger character through character education,
· Strengthen study skills using AVID strategies,
· Promote grit, tenacity, and perseverance with growth mindset,
· Study current events,
· Prepare for the annual International Festival held in December,
· Monitor our grades weekly on Grade Speed, on Progress Reports, and Report Cards,
· Attend grade level assemblies,
· Compete in campus competitions,
· Attend school time tutorials beginning in January,
· And much more!
Although no grade is given for Advocacy, attendance is mandatory and conduct grades are given. If a student is late to school at 7:45, s/he must get a tardy pass from the main office before being admitted to Advocacy.
As your student’s advocate, I welcome you to contact me if you have questions and/or concerns regarding your student’s experience here at SIS. You can contact me at 713-778-3440 or email me at SCRUZ@HoustonISD.org
Mr. S. Cruz