Lee High School
Dance Class 2014-2015
Dance is a Fine Arts course, in which students learn self discipline, confidence and dedication through the art of Dance while using the body as an expressive instrument. Students will explore various forms of dance, including Aerobic Dance, Ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Modern, and Social. Students will develop a dance vocabulary while developing a spatial kinesthetic awareness. Students will also discuss Dance History, Choreography, Nutrition, Health/Fitness and Anatomy/Physiology.
All students must be in the class room and dressed out 5 minutes after the bell rings. Anyone not sitting in his/her assigned place will be counted tardy. Students who enter late will be counted tardy. Any student over 20 minutes late will be marked absent. Students will be disciplined for excessive tardiness/absences in accordance with LHS policy.
• 3 ring binder, notebook paper, pen or pencil
• Black t-shirt (fitted not baggy) tank top (minimum 1” straps, must provide adequate coverage and be free of writing/graphics/embroidery) (Wal-Mart, Target)
• Black jazz pants/capri’s (Wal-Mart, Target)
• Black Jazz shoes (optional)
All clothing items can be purchased through any local retailer. Students may not wear any clothing that exposes cleavage or the midriff when arms are raised (this is considered in appropriate and points will be deducted). Clothing must
be form fitting so that students can learn proper alignment and technique.
• All personal items are to be stored during class. No exceptions!
• Personal belongings are to remain stored during class time. Lee High School, HISD, and Mrs. Tisdale are not responsible for any items that are lost or stolen!
• If an item is stolen, you should notify your AP, Police Department.
Any student who does not comply with these expectations will lose points off of
their daily grade(s) and/or receive disciplinary action as stated in LHS policies.
1. Come to class on time.
2. Dress out in proper attire and participate every day.
3. Do not chew gum, eat or drink while in the Dance Room.
4. Do not talk while the instructor is talking.
6. No MP3 players, Ipods, cell phones, or digital cameras are allowed in class at all! They will be picked up and turned in to the AP’s office.
7. Be courteous and respectful to others. Don’t touch other people’s things.
8. Try your best and have fun!
A must in Dance class! Anyone who does not dress out will receive a zero for the day, but will still be required to participate. Students who may not participate due to medical reasons must present a doctor’s note; those students must
complete a written assignment during class.
Students receive 2 grades each week for dressing out and actively participating. Points are deducted for not wearing the required attire, wearing jewelry, chewing gum, or misbehavior. Weekly grades (dress out, participation, some in-class assignments) are worth 50% of the 6 weeks average. Major grades (skills tests, written tests, quizzes, choreography and research projects) are worth 50% of the 6 weeks average.
• It is the student’s responsibility to find out what assignments they may have missed due to an absence.
• Skills Tests, quizzes and written tests must be made-up within one week of the original test date. Extenuating circumstances will be dealt with on an individual basis.
• Written projects come see Mrs. Tisdale for make-up dates. Any assignment turned in late will be counted off 10 points per day.
Lee High School Dance Instructor and Lee Guard Dance Team Sponsor
Tutorials/Make-ups: By appointment only