Any child of a non-resident HISD employee eligible to attend public school at the beginning of the school year may be transferred from his/her district of residence to any other Texas district that the transfer of average daily attendance (ADA) for the distribution of state funds meets with Texas Education Agency provisions.
PLEASE NOTE: No out-of-district transfers will be accepted into secondary "Separate and Unique School" (SUS) Magnet programs, early college high schools, or other specialty schools on campuses that do not have an attendance zone. In extenuating circumstances, the superintendent of schools may approve out-of-district transfers to these programs.
Children of HISD employees who reside outside the boundaries of HISD may be permitted to attend HISD schools tuition-free. Tuition rates may apply for students not eligible for ADA funding.
Number of Schools Eligible for Programs
Public schools of Texas
Grade Levels Served
Kindergarten through grade 12
- Policy of Board of Education of HISD: Tuition rates may apply for students not eligible for ADA funding
- Written agreement to the transfer by both the receiving district and the person with legal control of the child
- Available space and no qualified HISD resident was denied admission for the current year
- One-year commitment
- Transfer application submitted to the Student Transfer Department (receiving principal’s signature required)
- Forms approved by the Texas Education Agency filed with receiving district
- Parent notified by mail
First Week of February–Ongoing Transfers for the following school year may be approved beginning the first Monday of June, provided no qualified HISD resident was denied admission for the current year.
HISD transportation is provided to students only on routes with available space at existing stops.
HISD Transfer Dept.: 713-556-6734