Erica HarrisEnglish III AP and Creative WritingEmail: email@example.comCourse Website: Click HEREfor the course's true website.
Summer Reading 2018 ASSIGNMENTHi!
Our first unit is going to be on SYSTEMS.
1. How can an understanding of systems foster a deeper understanding of how humans interact with each other?
2. How are systems established? What does this process reveal about the nature of our relationships?
3. Why are certain systems maintained while others are allowed to decay or are destroyed? What does this process reveal about what drives our humanity?
Please read the following by the first day of school:
1. “History of the Atomic Bomb—The Manhattan Project” (Thought Co. article)
2. “A Neuroscientist’s Radical Theory of How Networks Become Conscious” (WIRED Magazine article)
3. System Theory (University of Twente)
4. “Mother and Daughter” by Hayan Charara (poem)
5. Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle (novel)
While reading the novel, think about what commentary the text is making about the interconnectedness that is found in the world, and what happens when we forget/dismiss the idea that we are all connected in some way.
· A box of tissues
· A folder (for all of your readings)
· A notebook (for notes)
· A ream of white copy paper (8.5 x 11)
ENJOY the summer break & I’ll see you in the fall!