Davis students traveled to Lee High School this weekend to spend their entire Saturday—the tournament lasted from 7:30 in the morning to 9:30 at night—competing against the best debaters HISD has to offer. It was the first debate tournament for all of these students, and they all rose to the occasion. Here are the results:
- Keyona House placed in the top 8 in Varsity Lincoln-Douglas debate.
- Partners Maria Carreon, Charity Hayes, and Chasity Hayes placed in the top 8 in JV World Schools debate.
- Partners Kimberly Reyes and Yohanna Franco challenged themselves by competing in Cross Examination debate, a format that has a very difficult learning curve.
- Megan Bertrand and Juliette Moore also competed in a difficult field of Varsity Lincoln-Douglas debaters, often against competition with much more experience under their belts.
- Partners Precious Wimbley and Gwendolyn McAffee had a strong showing in World Schools debate,
If you have any students that might be interested in joining the debate team, tell them to come to room 316 on Mondays during lunch (2nd half) or on Wednesdays after school.