After-School Specialty Programs
A variety of (fee based) after-school classes called "specialties" are offered to students during three 12-week sessions throughout the school year. Specialty classes meet twice a week, either M/W or T/Th. Students in grades K-2 may select specialities during 3:00-4:15 pm. Students in grades 3-5 may select specialties during 3:00-4:15 pm and 4:15-5:30 pm. Specialties do not meet on early dismissal days. Sign-up occurs just before each session begins. In the event class registration exceeds space, a lottery will be held for those spaces.Specialties change during the school year and vary by grade level.Session 1 runs from September 3rd - November 21st, 2019.
Session 2 runs from December 2nd - February 27th, 2020
Session 3 runs from March 2nd - May 21st, 2020Please contact Ms. Niksch with any questions.
Specialty Programs (Grades K-2) offered for Session 1:
- Art Exploration – Introduction to art mediums and techniques using art history, variety of materials, and the student’s
- Chess Beginner - Students will learn the basics of chess.
- Chess Intermediate – For students who already know the basics and want to learn strategies to improve their play. May also have the opportunity to play in tournaments.
- Dance Mix – a mixture of assorted styles of dance, such as hip hop, ballet and jazz.
- Hamp’s Camp football – Students will learn discipline, understand hard work and learn to believe in themselves. All this is accomplished through after school athletic training designed to help young kids develop physically, socially, and psychologically. Taught by a former NFL player. Sessions 1 & 2 only.
- JumpBunch - Introduces children to a wide range of sports in a fun, positive manner and encourages healthy habits, improved coordination and confidence through physical fitness.
- Meet the Masters art class – Art history explored through hands-on experiences through different mediums. Students will learn about famous artists and the history
Specialty Programs (Grades 3-5) offered for Session 1:
- Audio Production – This class will introduce students to how sounds are produced and used together to create music for songs and movies.
- Chess – Students will learn the basics of chess and have the chance to compete in various tournaments.
- Coding – Students will learn how to code by dragging blocks of code and snapping them together to make games and programs.
- Filmmaking - Learn the basics of movie production. Students will film their own movies, learn how to edit, write scripts, & produce their own movie.
- Guitar – Students will learn basic guitar chords and songs.
- Hamp’s Camp Football – Learn the basics of American football, along with discipline and athletic training. Taught by a former NFL player. Sessions 1 & 2 only.
- Robotics – Students will design and build programmable robotic mechanisms with Lego Mindstorms® education kits taught by American Robotic Academy
- Mad Scientists - Conduct hands-on experiments, learning about chemical reactions, states of matter, chemical bonding.
- Photography – Students will photograph scenes related to the world within, discovering all the possibilities of photography. (Cameras provided)
- Soccer – Learn the basics of soccer
- Yearbook – Students will design, edit and compile the Roberts yearbook. Sessions 1 & 2 only.