After-School Specialty Programs
A variety of (fee based) after-school classes called "specialties" are offered to students during three 12-week sessions throughout the school year. Specialty classes meet twice a week, either M/W or T/Th. Students in grades K-2 may select specialities during 3:00-4:15 pm. Students in grades 3-5 may select specialties during 3:00-4:15 pm and 4:15-5:30 pm. Specialties do not meet on early dismissal days. Sign-up occurs just before each session begins. In the event class registration exceeds space, a lottery will be held for those spaces.Specialties change during the school year and vary by grade level.Session 1 runs from September 3rd - November 21st, 2019.
Session 2 runs from December 2nd - February 27th, 2020
Session 3 runs from March 2nd - May 21st, 2020Please contact Ms. Niksch with any questions.
Session 3 Specialties
K – 2nd Grade Specialties (3:00 – 4:15)
- Meet the Masters art class – Art history explored through hands-on experiences through different mediums. Students will learn about famous artists and the history of their techniques.
- Soccer – learn the basics of soccer
- Art Exploration – Introduction to art mediums and techniques using art history, variety of materials, and the student’s imagination.
- Dance – a mixture of assorted styles of dance and creative movement
- JumpBunch - Introduces children to a wide range of activities in a fun, positive manner and encourages healthy habits, improved coordination and confidence through physical fitness.
- Chess Beginner - Students will learn the basics of chess.
- Chess Intermediate – For students who already know the basics and want to learn strategies to improve their play. May also have the opportunity to play in tournaments.
- Outdoor Games - kickball, basketball, wiffleball, etc. Does not include soccer.
3rd – 5th Grade Specialties (3:00 – 4:15 and 4:15 – 5:30)
- Filmmaking - Learn the basics of movie production. Students will film their own movies, learn how to edit, write scripts, & produce their own movie.
- Hopscotch - learn how to design mobile games and incorporate real-world coding concepts such as loops and conditionals.
- Mad Scientists - Conduct hands-on experiments, learning about chemical reactions, states of matter, chemical bonding.
- Audio Production – This class will introduce students to how sounds are produced and used together to create music for songs and movies.
- Soccer – Learn the basics of soccer
- Anime/Comics – Learn the art of animation through comics, cartoons and the Japanese style called anime.
- Photography – Students will photograph scenes related to the world within, discovering all the possibilities of photography. Cameras provided.
- Guitar – Students will learn basic guitar chords and songs.
- Special FX – Discover the art of special effects along with sound and playwriting.
- Robotics – Students will design and build programmable robotic mechanisms with Lego Mindstorms® education kits taught by American Robotic Academy
- Chess – Students will learn the basics of chess and have the chance to compete in various tournaments.
- Outdoor Games – kickball, basketball, wiffleball, etc. Does not include soccer.
- Brain Gaming - strategic thinking & logic games