After-School Specialty Programs
A variety of (fee based) after-school classes called "specialties" are offered to students during three 12-week sessions throughout the school year. Specialty classes meet twice a week, either M/W or T/Th. Students in grades K-2 may select specialities during 3:00-4:15 pm. Students in grades 3-5 may select specialties during 3:00-4:15 pm and 4:15-5:30 pm. Specialties do not meet on early dismissal days. Sign-up occurs just before each session begins. In the event class registration exceeds space, a lottery will be held for those spaces.Specialties change during the school year and vary by grade level.Session 1 runs from September 3rd - November 21st, 2019.
Session 2 runs from December 2nd - February 27th, 2020
Session 3 runs from March 2nd - May 21st, 2020Please contact Ms. Niksch with any questions.
Specialty Programs (Grades K-2, Time offered: 2:50pm-4:15pm) for Session 2:
- • Art Exploration – Introduction to art mediums and techniques using art history, variety of materials, and the student’s imagination.
• Beginning Coding w/ Lightbot app – a puzzle based game that introduces students to the concepts of coding
• Chess Beginner - Students will learn the basics of chess.
• Chess Intermediate – For students who already know the basics and want to learn strategies to improve their play. May also have the opportunity to play in tournaments.
• Creative Movement – movement through music, while developing physical skills, channeling energy, stimulating imagination and promoting creativity through dance
• Hamp’s Camp football – Students will learn discipline, understand hard work and learn to believe in themselves. All this is accomplished through after school athletic training designed to help young kids develop physically, socially, and psychologically. Taught by a former NFL player. Sessions 1 & 2 only.
• JumpBunch - Introduces children to a wide range of sports in a fun, positive manner and encourages healthy habits, improved coordination and confidence through physical fitness.
• Meet the Masters art class – Art history explored through hands-on experiences through different mediums. Students will learn about famous artists and the history of their techniques.
Specialty Programs (Grades 3-5 Times offered: 2:50pm-4:15pm and 4:15-5:30) for Session 2:
- Anime & Cartooning – Learn the art of animation through comics, cartoons and the Japanese style called anime.
• Chemistry Creations - Conduct hands-on experiments, learning about chemical reactions, states of matter, chemical bonding.
• Chess – Students will learn the basics of chess and have the chance to compete in various tournaments.
• Coding – Students will learn how to crochet, making scaves and hats
• Crocheting – Students will learn how to code by dragging blocks of code and snapping them together to make games and programs.
• Engineering Adventures – Structured activities that challenge children to engineer solutions for problems using the engineering process of Ask, Imagine, Plan, Create, Improve.
• Filmmaking - Learn the basics of movie production. Students will film their own movies, learn how to edit, write scripts, & produce their own movie.
• Guitar – Students will learn basic guitar chords and songs.
• Hamp’s Camp Football – Learn the basics of American football, along with discipline and athletic training. Taught by a former NFL player. Sessions 1 & 2 only.
• Photography – Students will photograph scenes related to the world within, discovering all the possibilities of photography. Equipment provided.
• Robotics – Students will design and build programmable robotic mechanisms with Lego Mindstorms® education kits taught by American Robotic Academy
• Stop Motion Animation – Movie making with iPads by moving an object frame by frame using their own amateur creations
• Toontastic 3D – Using iPads, draw, animate, design characters turning ideas and stories into 3D cartoons