Students and parents, please know we are working very diligently to support the needs of every single student. Our district will make an announcement by May 3rd as it relates to school opening or extending school closure. We will know more information then and have more updates soon after.
HISD Graduation Ceremony
There is a possibility graduation ceremony will take place in June, July, early August or even (as a last resort) virtually. Our priority is safety and security; however, we are committed to providing seniors and parents with some form of ceremony to memorialize this special accomplishment.
We have made payment for prom venue. Just like graduation we are waiting for an announcement from our district to be made by May 3rd as it relates to school opening or extension of school closure.
- The management is very flexible as it relates to rescheduling. They even said it can be rescheduled to next year. They have stated if we cancel event, they will not issue a refund. My concern is if they keep deposit, we have less flexibility. They have many other events that also need to be rescheduled and we have a very tight window to reschedule.
- If we demand a refund of deposit, and if we successfully secure a refund of deposit, we have more options (we can reschedule with same venue, a different venue or use funds for something else.) If we are unable to secure a refund from venue, we are in same situation.
- Community Service Requirement: Students who have completed community service hours for this school year will receive a special recognition. Students who have not completed required community service hours for this school year will have option to waive this requirement
- Senior Project: Students who completed Senior Project for this school year will receive a special recognition. Students who have not completed required Senior Project for this school year will have option to waive this requirement
- CPR Instruction: As of now, CPR instruction is a state graduation requirement. We took care of this requirement the day following the award ceremony. HISD will request a waiver from the commissioner for seniors who have not completed this requirement. However, there is no guarantee the state will honor this request. If you have not completed this graduation requirement, please remain on standby. We will develop a plan to support you just in case. If the state does not approve this request by May 4th, we will execute our plan to be on the safe side.
- “NG” No Grade on Transcript: If you have an "NG" on your transcript for semesters prior to this one, you will be required to have them removed to ensure you satisfy all high school graduation requirements. Mr. Speier will create a Teams Classroom for you and will inform you of the number of hours you owe, and how to satisfy the requirements so the NG may be removed from your transcript. Please be on the lookout for this. The sooner this is taken care of, the better. Seniors will not receive NG for current semester.
- On Time Grad Academy: Students who are expected to be enrolled to On Time Grad Academy for credit recovery or original credit, please know Dean Orozco is working hard to get you enrolled. As a result of school closures, there are less courses offered and there are less sessions offered. Some of you were relying on sessions and courses no longer offered. We are working diligently to support you. For example, if you need Spanish original credit, Mr. Speier will teach it and Dean Orozco and I will assume all duties he is no longer eligible to perform as a teacher of record. Additionally, we are working to create a few of our own credit recovery sessions with our teachers. On Time Grad Academy cancels offerings if they do not have enough students enroll in them. Most recently, they canceled Government. SENIORS who are retaking GOVT 2305, it is very important you do your best. The last day to get you registered for their last session for Government is April 24th. If you do not have this credit you do not graduate!
College Access and Scholarships
Mr. Manny (Quiroz) is also on Teams ready to support seniors with college advising, applications and scholarship info.
Yearbook from Treering
Yearbooks are still a work in progress. These will be shipped directly to your homes once they are ready. Please log in to Treering and update your two custom pages. Every yearbook comes with two customized pages where you choose which pictures are included. Additionally, you can contribute pictures you have collected into shared folders for yearbook staff to use for yearbook.
- Link for returning users: https://tr5.treering.com/signin
- First time users: https://tr5.treering.com/validate
○ School Code: 1015062170452371
Senior Budget before Senior Dues
Please review attachment so you can review Class of 2020 budget (does not include amounts paid for senior dues) Please note there is still one more item that needs to be charged - diploma covers. Historically, we receive this invoice after graduation, but I have provided an estimate to this budget.
Attachment: Click here to view 2020 Senior Budget
Students, please be advised seniors dues are currently $210. Below is a breakdown of senior dues. Seniors and parents will have opportunity to vote which items to keep and which items you would like refunded. *Indicates if the event does not take place, a refund can be issued at a later date.
Senior Dues Breakdown
*Senior Trip (1)
*Senior Trips addtl
Below is a link to access tutorials.
Here is the link with information related to HCC graduation www.hccs.edu/resources-for/current-students/graduation/
Once application is complete you will be at Step 3.
It will be virtual but students will be allowed to walk in December
Message from Jostens (Orders can be placed over the phone at 1-800-jostens)
We wanted to reach out and let you know that we are still here and anxious to help you and your seniors once we have the all clear! We have diverted your shipments to our local office so that they would not be returned to Jostens. We felt this was in your school’s best interest as your school is currently closed!
The majority of calls and emails we have received from senior’s families have been with regard to how and when they will receive their graduation items. We continue to have families order their graduation items online and over the phone through our call center. Many have expressed that they would like to get their cap and gown so they can have pictures made. As an alternative to in-school deliveries, many Jostens reps have had great success with doing curbside deliveries on school parking lots. We would be happy to do the same at your school should you so desire. (We will follow up with more info about this)
With regard to graduation announcements, fortunately they are graduation announcements and not graduation invitations. Parents are still planning on announcing their senior’s graduation from high school, but some have concerns about the date, time and location information should this change. We are informing them that when the final decision is made, if needed, we will provide deluxe inserts with any changes to the relevant information at no charge to your seniors.
We are hearing from schools all across the country that their seniors will have some form of graduation. The following recommended actions are options
- Proceed with plans as is (if still an option).
- Delay ceremonies if necessary.
- Plan some sort of diploma presentation ceremony, potentially streamed and with pictures.
- As a last resort, have a virtual commencement ceremony.
Jostens is currently finalizing a virtual graduation as a last resort contingency which we will share with you once it’s fully released. Please know that Jostens will not charge for this program should you choose to use it. There are other companies that are offering a virtual graduation experience for a cost.
If you would only like to purchase cap and gown with stole and tassel, flip your order form to the back and you will see this option on the bottom. The cost is $50.
If you only need tassel and stole please note tassel costs $14.99 and you should select "Souvenir" option.
There are a few different ways to order.
Students can order online at Jostens.com. Everything offered at the school is offered online.
We understand some students can only pay in cash. If that is the case JOSTENS would be more than willing to set up a day to come back to take orders during lunches.
Orders can be placed over the phone at 1-800-jostens. This is a bi-lingual service open from 8am-6pm
Parents/students can also come to our office located 506 E. Main Street in Humble 281-446-5430.
East Early Stole - $20.00 + $1.65 = $21.65
Lt Blue HCC Graduation Stole - $6.00 + $.50 = $6.50
Cap - $5.00 = $.41 = $5.41
Souvenir Tassel - $14.95 + $1.23 = $16.18