What is "Leader In Me"?
- A process that helps develop the essential life skills and characteristics students need in order to thrive in the 21st century.
- Uses Stephen Covey's, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People model, tailored to children and teachers in an education setting.
- Currently has been rolled out to over 650 school world wide.
Why is it good for my children?
- Personal leadership-being accountable for actions and attitudes
- Initiative and self-discipline, making healthy choices
- Ability to work well with others, cross culturally and in teams
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Ability to solve complex problems and creative thinking skills
- Inspires greater self-confidence with a belief that very child can be a "leader of their own life", has unique talents and can make a difference.
- Teaches skills needed to be successful in the 21st century
What types of results are expected?
- Increase academic achievement and decline in discipline problems
- Increase student self confidence, improved social and life skills
- Increase student, teacher and parent satisfaction with their education
How is the process implemented in schools?
The "Leader in Me" process takes 1-3 years to become fully implemented into the school's culture.
Year 1 Goals:
- Create a shared vision of your ideal school and understand the leadership model
- Train the staff in the 7 Habits to establish a common language and culture
- Provide Implementation training for the staff to learn how to teach the Habits and create an environment of leadership in their classroom
- Create Lighthouse leadership team to ensure a successful implementation
- Provide student leadership roles.
Year 2 Goals:
- Implement Leadership notebooks to help students set academic and personal behavior goals to track their learning progress
- Provide more opportunities for student leadership
- Implement action plans created by the Lighthouse team in the following areas: Leadership, Environment and Traditions.
- Continuous improvement efforts to ensure the new leadership culture is sustainable long term