Important Dates and Deadlines for 2020 – 2021 Enrollment
Application Window Opens: Friday, September 27, 2019
Application Window Closes: Friday, December 6, 2019
*Students Can Apply to a Maximum of 5 Schools*HOW TO APPLY FOR A MAGNET PROGRAM
- Review your student’s interests and needs and look for alignment with specific Magnet programs.
- Use the information and links at www.HoustonISD.org/SchoolChoice.
- Consider how you will rank your choices. You will have a limit of 5 choices. (It is recommended that parents weigh their options carefully and consider the following: if you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and a student has not been identified as G/T prior to the Phase I deadline and subsequently does not qualify as G/T, the student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs you applied to.)
- If you have used the system before, please use your previous account.
- Paper applications are available online, at any Magnet program, or from the Office of School Choice. (Online applications provide more options for tracking and staying up-to-date.)
- Make sure to sign and submit your application.
- Qualified applications submitted Between dates - TBD and TBD, will be entered into any lotteries. Deadline to be entered in the lottery is date- TBD.
- For elementary programs, only Vanguard applications may require documentation.
- Please be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application.
- Check your SPAM folder to ensure you are not missing any information. If at all possible, do not use a Hotmail account, as the service usually blocks emails from HISD.
- By midnight on date -TBD, notification of the application status will be viewable online and letters will be sent to all parents via USPS mail.
- If your student has been offered a seat in a program, you have two weeks to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement.
- If your student was not offered a seat on March 21, 2019, but has been placed on a wait list, stay alert for changes in application status throughout the summer. You may be able to submit additional applications to programs with more room.