Verizon Innovative Learning Schools
We are excited to announce that MPVA was accepted into the "innovation in technology" initiative sponsored by Verizon. MPVA was accepted into the Verizon Innovative Learning Schools (VILS) program for the 2021-22 school year. We are honored to be among a select group of middle schools nationwide to participate in this initiative! As a VILS partner school, we receive an in-kind award of Chromebooks for all students, teachers, and administrators, professional development, and digital instructional resources. Each Chromebook is equipped with a data plan that provides "always-available" access out of the classroom. Funds are provided for a full-time Campus Instructional Technologist dedicated to providing teachers with the pedagogical support to effectively leverage technology in the classroom. The initial VILS program is for two years, with the possibility of a two-year extension in the second year. MPVA is now entering its second year of the program.
View VILS Parent Information Presentation in English
View Presentación de información para padres de VILS en español
What is required from parents/guardians?
1. All parents/guardians need to complete and turn in the required documentation. ENGLISH FORMS SPANISH FORMS
2. The $25 annual usage fee must be paid on SchoolPay.com for each student.
3. At least one parent/guardian per household needs to complete the online Meyerland Parent Course and submit the Parent Course completion form at the end.
Need assistance with your student Chromebook?
If you are having problems with the student Chromebook or charger, please follow these steps:
1. Ask the student to first ask a classmate if they know how to fix the problem. Several students are part of our Student Tech Team and may be able to help.
2. Ask the student to try asking their teacher for help. Several of our staff know how to do basic troubleshooting.
3. If the student has tried steps 1 and 2, have them take the Chromebook and/or charger with them to our campus technologist. Mr. Smith is located next to the library in room 101.
4. If your student is at home during school hours due to illness, injury, or other circumstances, and the problem is minor, they can email Mr. Smith (email@example.com) or Mrs. Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
5. If your student is at home during school hours due to illness, injury, or other circumstances, and the problem is urgent or more serious, please call the school at 713-726-3616 and ask Mr. Smith.
Help us help our students take care of their Chromebooks!
If we are not able to treat these devices with care and respect, consequences may result in a student device being taken up by Mr. Smith and not returned.
Students need to remove any personal stickers they have placed on their Chromebooks.
The Chromebooks belong to MPVA, and should only have the stickers that Mr. Smith has placed on them (example: the Meyerland crest, the clear pouch containing their name card, and the inventory tags).
Any official stickers need to stay there and not be removed or drawn on.
- Put in backpack when not using
- No eating or drinking near Chromebook
- Swipe and sweep before closing
- Charge nightly
Students need to charge their Chromebook overnight. We do not have very many replacement chargers as many chargers were not returned last school year. If a student has a charger that no longer works correctly, they should let Mr. Smith know as soon as possible so that he can determine if it's damaged or has a manufacturing defect for replacement (fees may apply if it is determined to have been damaged).
If a student chooses to bring their charger to school, they need to keep it in their backpack and make sure they get it back should they choose to loan it to a friend during class time.
Students who do not have working chargers can bring their Chromebook to Mr. Smith and he can charge it for them during the day. It is their responsibility to come get it later in the day.
Please monitor how much data your student is using at home. The Chromebooks are not meant for personal use, such as watching videos (that are not embedded into a class in Canvas) or playing games.
There is a setting that allows students to toggle between using your home WiFi and the Verizon Data. Please only use Verizon Data if you do NOT have WiFi available at home.
Do NOT use Verizon Data as a hotspot for other devices in the home.
Please see the Important Information for Parents link to see the steps that parents must do in order for their students to receive a Chromebook.