Mr. Ying's Weekly Updates
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I ran just over 13 miles today. Some of you might be thinking, "Good work, Mr. Ying! I see you are increasing distance from last week’s 12-mile run." No, no, no, it’s 13 miles because I took a wrong turn….
Happy belated Mid-Autumn Festival! We had a great festival last Friday. Many families and friends came out. The two hours were filled with lots of arts and crafts, food tasting, and student performances. Parents, if you came to our festival, I want to thank you for making the time and I hope you enjoyed the event. I want to once again thank our PTO members, all parents, staff, and students who helped make this fun night possible. Towards the end of the festival, I witnessed something special and it touched my heart. I took a shot of it and posted on Twitter. Towards the end, I saw parents and students rolled up their sleeves and helped our staff clean up the cafeteria. That shows a sense of unity. That tells me our community is all about helping one another and making our school great.
The following is this week’s update.
1. Dress code. Starting last week, we started to enforce MIMS dress code. If your child is out of dress code, our front office ladies will call and ask you bring uniform to school. We understand that it might cause some inconvenience, but we need to make sure every student come to school in uniform. On that note, we are being understanding and flexible about hoodies. Students are allowed to wear hoodies as long as they don’t cover their head with the hoodie.
2. Schedule update.
a. For the 7thgraders who are on advance Chinese track, they WILL BE taking Chinese One. We apologize for the mix-up, and we are correcting this schedule issue as soon as we can.
b. Due to low enrollment, we might be losing our Technology teacher, Ms. Hill in the near future. Ms. Hill is also a certified Dyslexia teacher, and I’m looking into the possibility of having her assigned to MIMS for Dyslexia service.
c. One of my mid-term and long-term plans for MIMS is to strengthen student’s Chinese proficiency. Ms. Colion and I are looking into possibly adding more Chinese courses that focus on conversational Chinese to make up for the loss of Technology class.
d. In addition to conversational Chinese courses, it is also my vision to provide advance technology class, such as coding. I believe advance technology skills will give students an edge to become successful when they graduate. With that in mind, I want to ensure you that I’ll bring Technology class back to our campus the moment I can.
3. On Tuesday, 9/17/19, we are supporting the Houston Astros by wearing jeans and Astros attire. Your child may also wear t-shirt that has Astros’ color – navy blue and orange.
4. Also on Tuesday, our school is offering Parent University to all parents. We will be talking about understanding culture differences and the art of working with people who grew up in a different culture.
5. I am excited to inform you that we have started a new routine – daily morning announcement. Currently, our morning announcement is scheduled at 8:35. It is very brief; it’s only about 2 minutes. We use this time to celebrate the little successes that’s happening around the campus, talk about general reminders, and wish students and staff happy birthday. Similar to my weekly updates to parents, we want to utilize the morning announcement to communicate with the entire student body the important items that are pertaining to them.
Weekly Updates - September 9th, 2019
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I ran 12 miles on Sunday in preparation of my first, and maybe last, marathon race that’s coming up next January.
Here are some updates:
1. Communication. We are slowly migrating our communication onto school website. The teachers will post their weekly updates on their website, and I so will I. The goal is to provide an easy, readily accessible way to communicate with all parents.
2. Uniform policy. Today marks the beginning of 3rd week of school. We will start enforcing uniform policy. Please make sure your child(ren) wears school uniform.
3. ASP enrichment begins today, 9/9/19. The parent led clubs will begin next week.
Please be advised that due to short staffing, there will no admin on duty to monitor students in the afterschool program. Your child will be monitored/supervised by the ASP staff and/or the parents who are in charge of the club. The most significant difference of not having admin on duty during afterschool program is that the ASP staff won’t be able to let you in and out of the building for non-emergency situations.
4. Open house. Our open house is Tuesday, 9/10/19, from 5:00 to 7:00 for the middle school and Wednesday, 9/11/19, from 5:00 to 7:00 for the elementary school. We will make announcements every 20 minutes so that you can visit multiple classes.
5. Mid-Autumn Festival. Thanks to our PTO, MIMS is hosting Mid-Autumn Festival this Friday, 9/13/19 from 5:00 to 7:00. Please come join us for food tasting and watch our students perform.
6. Generation Ready – this is a really eye-opening workshop that make you rethink the way people interact from a brand-new perspective. I attended the workshop this past Saturday and was repeatedly amazed by the material presented to us. We are offering two more dates with morning, afternoon, and evening sessions to accommodate your busy schedule. Trust me, this free workshop is really worth your two hours. Sign up here.
7. Parent University. Tuesday, 9/17/19 from 5:00 to 6:30. We are going to talk about how to help your child study Chinese language, how to help your child prepare for high frequency tests, introduce to you some of the educational programs that we use.
8. Parent volunteer.
a. All parent volunteers have to be VIPS (volunteers in public schools) approved.
b. All volunteers have to be accompanied by the teacher inside the building (Except for making copies. See bullet d). Volunteers cannot work inside the classroom without a teacher’s presence.
c. For volunteer work such as decorating the classroom and bulletin boards, it has to occur during the teacher’s planning time.
d. For volunteers who make copies and lamination, the work is being done in the front office area. You do not have to be accompanied by a teacher or restricted by the planning periods.
9. Event calendar. The following is our school’s event calendar. You are welcome to sync this to your phone to receive automatic notifications.
Click here for the Google Calendar link to our school event calendar.
Weekly Updates - September 1st, 2019
I want to first give everyone my best wishes for you and your family on Labor Day when we honor all workers. In observance of Labor Day, MIMS will be closed Monday, 9/2/19.
The following are a few announcements for the week of 9/2/19.
1. Generation Ready
We are offering this fantastic workshop to all parents. It’s about understanding culture differences and building a harmonious community in a culturally diverse society. To accommodate everyone’s busy schedule, we offer this 2-hour workshop offered on:
a. Satruday, 9/7/19, 9:00 AM
b. Monday, 9/16/19 and Friday, 9/20/19, 9:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 6:00 PM
Please use this link to sign up.
2. Friday free dress
We are going to continue the tradition and welcome students to come to school in free dress. Please note that the basic dress code still applies – no vulgar language on shirt, no dresses that’s too revealing, ect.
3. Friday lunch with parents
We are going to continue to tradition and welcome parents to join students for lunch. However, with the number of students increasing each year, our cafeteria is running out of seats. Our short-term solution is to use some of the folding tables/chairs in conjunction with the outdoor seating area just outside of the cafeteria. The long-term solution is to add more cafeteria tables – it’s in the works, but it will take quite a while before new tables arrive.
4. Open House
a. 9/10/19, 5:00 to 7:00, 6th to 8th grade
b. 9/11/19, 5:00 to 7:00, prek to 5th grade
c. Teachers will talk about their policies and procedures, preferred way of communication,
5. Mid-Autumn Festival
Thanks to PTO, this year’s Mid-Autumn Festival is on Friday, 9/13/19 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. We will pass out the flyers in Tuesday’s folder on 9/10/19.
6. First fire drill
We have successfully conducted our first fire drill. Our goal is to complete the drill in 5 minutes next time.
7. Main channel of communication
My goal is to migrate all official announcements to MIMS’ website. That means the principal’s weekly updates will be posted on MIMS’ website on a weekly basis and each teacher will post their weekly news/updates on MIMS’ website on a weekly basis.
Thank you for your continued support. I am reaching out this evening to include you in a major decision involving our teachers for the upcoming school year. Due to the recent change in enrollment, we experienced an increase in 3rd graders and a decrease in 4th graders, a couple of our teachers experienced reassignments to properly serve our students.
Thus, as the principal at MIMS, I was charged with making the difficult decision today of moving one of our 4th grade teachers to cover the increase of students in 3rd grade. As a result, the 4th graders will be on a three-way rotation in the 2019-2020 school year. However, the positive news it that despite this adjustment in the schedule, we were still able to honor our current small class size ratio so all of our students will receive equal instructional time from our amazing teachers!
Specifically, Ms. Xia will teach Chinese and Math, Ms. Marcus will teach Reading and Social Studies, and Mr. Silveira will teach Writing and Science. The teachers and I met this afternoon to collaborate on how to best serve our community. Together, we recreated the class schedules and rosters and remain excited to welcome your student on Monday, August 26, 2019! The only major change in the rosters is that we split Ms. He’s class three ways and distributed the students evenly to Ms. Xia, Ms. Marcus, and Mr. Silveira’s class.
I understand that you may have many questions about this change and the timing is not ideal. However, I wanted to be as transparent as possible with our community and communicate with everyone as quickly as possible as I realize we just hosted families for our Meet and Greet.
As always, my door is always open and I remain committed to providing your children the best education and experience at MIMS this school year! Thank you again for your understanding and have a wonderful weekend!
Summer Update III
I have received many emails concerning the 3rd grade Chinese teacher opening. We have been actively talking to applicants and have a couple candidates lined up for this position.
I have also received email messages stating that some parents did not receive my Summer Update email. The good news is that we have identified the culprit; it stems from the way parent information was stored in the system. Here is what we can do. Please inform those who haven’t received my email that when they have a chance, come to MIMS’ front office and update their email address. Some of the returning parents are not receiving emails either – we need to get their email updated as well.
Our Meet and Greet is coming up this Thursday, 8/22/19 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM and our teachers are very excited to meet you. Please be advised that MIMS is hosting a large professional development on that day with 175 participants, so parking will be a challenge. We will try to wrap up the training around 3:30 PM, and the traffic should improve pass 4:00 PM.
The attached is drop-off/pick-up instruction. I want to thank our PTO members to putting this document together and sharing with families new to MIMS.
Summer Update II
Dear Parents and Guardians,
My name is Chung Ying, the newly appointed school principal. I hope you all had a great summer. My summer went by in the blink of an eye because learning about our school feels like two jobs and a half.
First, I want to thank you for your patience. I know many parents were anxious about not receiving school updates during the summer. As my team and I are gaining more access to our system, we will provide updates more frequently. School Messenger offers a service to send emails to all parents at once. Our office staff and I did not have access to that feature until today, which is why I have not been able to communicate with you via email.
Below is a quick update on what’s happening in our school and other important information:
1. We are spending the next two weeks working with teachers on team building and professional development. Follow me on Twitter (@MIMS_Principal) for picture updates.
2. If you have recently moved, please update your address. Come to school next week during normal business hours, bring a copy of your utility bill or lease agreement, and we will be able to update your address. Please note that we need your current address to put you on the correct bus route.
3. Upcoming events (check the calendar on our website for most current updates)
Meet and Greet the Teachers and Staff 4:00 to 6:00 - Come on by to meet the wonderful teachers and staff here at MIMS. We will officially release the class rosters on the window. Note: MIMS will host an OPEN HOUSE where parents will be able to visit their child's classroom and hear from the teacher. Open House date TBD
First day of school – Traffic is usually heavy on the first day of school. We suggest you leave the house early.
4. If you wish to volunteer in our school, please go to HISD website, search for VIPS (volunteers in public schools), and sign up.
5. New parents:
a. Our school hours are 8:30 AM (doors open at 8:05) to 3:50 PM. We anticipate heavy traffic in the first few weeks of school.
b. For your convenience, I have attached the uniform policy in this email.
c. All students receive free breakfast and lunch in school.
d. Please do join us at the Meet and Greet on Thursday, 8/22/19 – our teachers are looking forward to meeting you.
6. Class roster – We will post class roster in our school on Wednesday, 8/21/19.
Dear Parents and Guardians:
My name is Chung Ying, the newly appointed school principal. I want to reach out to you and give you a quick update on what’s happening in our school
- We are fully staffed – we are still looking to fill a couple supporting roles, but all classroom vacancies are filled, which is really great news!
- If you have recently moved, please update your address. Come to school next week during normal business hours, bring a copy of your utility bill or lease agreement, and we will be able to update your address. Please note that we need your current address to put you in the correct bus route.
- Upcoming events (check the calendar on our website for most current updates)
- PreK Boot Camp 8:00 to 8:30
- Kinder Boot Camp 8:30 to 9:00
- 6th grade Boot Camp 9:30 to 12:00
Meet and Greet the Teachers and Staff 4:00 to 6:00 - Come on by to meet the wonderful teachers and staff here at MIMS. Note: MIMS will host an OPEN HOUSE where parents will be able to visit their child's classroom and hear from the teacher. Open House date TBD
First day of school – Traffic is usually heavy on the first day of school. We suggest you leave the house early.