School Safety & Transportation
School Zone Safety—Traffic patterns as expected, were heavy during the first week of school. Each day seemed to get a little better, but the reality is, with 1000+ students being dropped off/ picked up from POMS this is going to take some time to get through the traffic. Think of it like this…leaving POMS is like leaving a concert/event parking lot, the same patience and understanding is needed by everyone. With your help, we can get you on your way and clear Circle Drive by 4:15pm. Let’s keep helping each other!
The City of Bellaire has asked us to remind parents to follow school zone regulations.
- Be on the lookout for school zone signals and ALWAYS obey the speed limits.
- Avoid your cellphone.
- Never text while driving in a school zone.
- Watch out for school crossing guards and obey their signals.
- Never pass other vehicles while driving in a school zone.
- Never change lanes while driving in a school zone.
- Never make U-Turns while driving in a school zone.
- Yield to buses at all times. You MUST stop if you see yellow or red lights, and the stop arm deploys.
- Unless licensed to do so, never use handicap or emergency vehicle lanes or spaces to drop off or pick up children at school.
Car Riders/ Bike Riders/ Walkers—POMS Traffic guidelines are provided below to ensure student safety. Please adhere to the following:
1. Coming from 610, form 1 line on Glenmont. Please turn right into circle drive and stay in the carpool line. Do not drop-off or pick-up your child(ren) off Glenmont. This may be a time saver for you, but it is not SAFE.
2. As you enter circle drive, please pull up as far as you can. When the car ahead of you leaves, please pull up. If your child is not ready, you will be asked to exit the lane and park in the front parking lot. Do not stop your car on the crosswalk.
3. Place your car in park and allow your child(ren) to exit the vehicle on the curb side. It is dangerous to exit from the driver's side of the vehicle.
4. Wait patiently for cars ahead of you to unload. Do not attempt to pass vehicles in the drop-off lane.
5. When exiting the school driveway, you must turn right on to Glenmont.
6. NEVER leave your car unattended. If you need to enter the school building, please park your car in the parking spaces in the front lot.
7. If your child is going to walk or ride his/her bike to school, please remind them to be very careful. They must always obey the traffic signals, and always cross with the light and in the crosswalk. They should never have earbuds/ headphones, AirPods, or any Bluetooth device distracting them when walking or riding their bike. They must stay alert and aware of what is happening around them.
8. Students and parents are not allowed to cross in the middle of the street instead of crossing at the crosswalk.
- Do Not U-turn on Glenmont.
- Do NOT pick-up or drop-off in the teacher/staff parking lot at the back of the school.
- Avenue B is NOT a sanctioned pick-up or drop-off location and do NOT block driveways. Bellaire police will give tickets to those who are parked illegally.
- The HCC Parking Lot is NOT available for parking. Your car will be towed.
Lastly, we are all responsible for the safety of our students. Treat every student you see as if they were your own. Please try not to be in a hurry during drop-off and pick-up.