Ready Set Go - Back to School Plan
HISD will provide in-person learning five days per week for all students during the 2021-2022 school year. The purpose of this ‘Ready, Set, Go!’ plan is to provide students, families, employees, and community stakeholders with the information necessary for a safe return to in-person learning. The plan outlines both instructional and operational protocols for all facets of the country’s eighth-largest public school system. Because of changing conditions, HISD will continually monitor health conditions and review procedures and protocols, making adjustments as needed.
- Masks are required in all HISD schools, buildings and buses. Students who arrive without a mask will be provided with one. Students refusing to wear a mask will subject to disciplinary action.
- Students and staff are asked to monitor their health and stay home when sick.
- We will host a vaccination clinic on Saturday, August 21 for those 12 years and older.
- Follow guidance and protocols for confirmed, presumed, and exposed individuals.
- Offer rapid COVID testing on campus to students and staff.
- Daily cleaning with nightly fogging with hospital-grade disinfectants.
- Hand sanitizer and soap are available in all restrooms and throughout the school campus.
- Encourage physical distancing when space allows, with one-way stairs designated throughout the building to limit face-to-face contact.
- Encourage lunch in outside locations on campus and provide monitoring of seating arrangements to make contact tracing easier.
- Staff or students who test positive for COVID should contact the school nurse to report the positive test.
- Students who are quarantined or test positive will have access to temporary Online Learning through HISD. Documentation will be required, and there is a 20 day limit set by TEA. This process will be initiated by the campus nurse.
- HISD Transportation will return to normal service at full capacity. Students and drivers will be required to wear masks and assigned seating is required.
- Limit visitors to campus and required pre-scheduled appointments for entry.
- Competitions, practices and performances will continue with spectator seating at 50% capacity. Masks are required and social distancing is recommended.
- Gatherings and meetings will be held outside or virtually. Open House will be a virtual event.
- Closure Plan – We do not anticipate school closures, but if necessary, evaluations will be made on a case-by-case basis