Weekly Updates - March 31st, 2020
Weekly Updates - March 31st, 2020
I hope you and your family are well and healthy. I believe most of you have received a plethora of school related emails from teachers. I am confident that the sheer volume of information communicated is probably overwhelming for many of you. Therefore, I intentionally waited a couple days before sending this update via email. I want to thank you for communicating with the teachers and for your patience during this challenging time. Our teachers are working harder than ever to streamline the learning process and are actively migrating instruction to the online platform. Our parents are working harder than ever also as you juggle your work and family demands at home, including caring for your child(ren) and schooling at home. My hat goes off to everyone for managing these tremendously important tasks with grace during a time never faced before in our nation nor education system. The following are a few updates to start off the week:
1. Many parents have reached out to me for technology devices. I apologize for not being able to personally respond to each one of you. I did, however, forward all requests to Mr. Milla, our technology clerk, and asked him to schedule a pick-up time with you. Our teachers and staff have been calling and checking on you and your child since last week. We wanted to personally reestablish connection as well as survey your technology needs. The survey results have also been forwarded to Mr. Milla. He will address your technology request in a timely manner.
2. HISD@HOME is live and it offers lots and lots of resources.
• You may attend webinars and learn about the educational programs such as MyOn, Imagine Math, Imagine Language & Literacy, etc.
3. The Houston Texans and partners have compiled FREE digital education resources for parents and teachers to help kids from preschool through high school “Huddle at Home” to stay active and keep their skills sharp. Content includes contests, math drills, activities and a character playbook. These resources are designed to bring some football fun to homes across Houston and beyond.
4. HISD Communications Team is launching HISD @ H.O.M.E. TV to bring free, educational programming to our students and families at home through television. Our Multimedia Team has been producing instructional videos in English & Spanish in collaboration with the Elementary and Secondary Curriculum departments.
5. In honor of the Cesar Chavez/Dolores Huerta holiday on Monday, March 30th, HISD @ H.O.M.E. TV will launch on Tuesday, March 31st. Families can access the lessons Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., on the following channels:
• Comcast Ch. 18, U-verse Ch. 99.
• HISD @ H.O.M.E. TV can also be accessed online at the same times on houstonisd.org/livetv
6. HISD Communications is also partnering with Fox 26’s sister station UPN Ch.20 to broadcast HISD content. Starting the week of March 30, UPN Ch. 20 will air a one-hour video produced by HISD Communications on a weekly basis featuring a variety of lessons and information for our community.
7. HISD Communications is also collaborating with Houston Public Media to promote HISD @ H.O.M.E. TV and also provide additional free, educational programing for parents and students through PBS TV Ch. 8 at-home learning.