HISD Superintendent Terry Grier to Deliver State of the Schools Address
February 27, 2012
More Houston ISD students are prepared for college and rewarding careers today and Superintendent Terry Grier will highlight the outstanding work of the district's principals, teachers, and community partners on Thursday when he delivers the annual HISD State of the Schools address.
Dr. Grier will be speaking to a sold-out audience of about 2,000 educators, elected officials, and business and community leaders in the fourth-floor ballroom of the Hilton Americas Hotel (1600 Lamar). The event begins at 11:30 a.m. and will also feature an address from Board of Education President Michael Lunceford.
More HISD schools are consistently delivering students a quality education at a time when the state of Texas cut funding to Houston schools by $78 million this year and an additional $40-plus million in 2012-2013.
Dr. Grier's speech will focus on HISD's accomplishments of 2011, which include:
- A record number of students from every racial and ethnic group are graduating from high school on time.
- HISD's dropout rate is at its lowest point ever.
- In just two years, HISD has seen a 35 percent leap in the number of Advanced Placement exams that were scored high enough to earn students college credit.
- The number of students scoring 500 or better on the three SAT subjects has reached its all time high.
- Eighty-eight percent of HISD graduates were accepted into college. Half of all graduates were accepted into a 4-year university.
- The combined value of scholarships offered to HISD graduates over the past three years exceeds $278 million.
Dr. Grier will also discuss HISD's progress toward improving the quality of teachers and principals working in all 279 Houston schools, the encouraging first-year results from HISD's Apollo 20 school turnaround program, and the district's plan to open top-notch career and technical education programs at six high schools in an effort to draw students back to their neighborhood schools.
Chevron is this year's State of the Schools presenting sponsor. ARAMARK is the title sponsor.
Seating for news media covering Thursday's sold-out event will be provided. Meals, however, will not be available for reporters. Those who are unable to attend State of the Schools may watch live online at www.abc13.com, or follow on Twitter (@Houstonisd or in Spanish: @HISDEspanol). Photos, transcripts, and video of the event will be posted at houstonisd.org after the event. Also, the district will post its 2011 Annual Report: Driving Innovation. Transforming Education in a digital format following the event.