HISD Launches Redesigned District Website
The Houston Independent School District has launched a redesigned district website, www.houstonisd.org.The site was created to improve the overall user experience and make it easier to find information.
Key features include:
- Improved compatibility with mobile devices
- Revamped school search tool that makes it possible to view a side-by-side comparison of school profiles, demographics, and student performance data for up to four schools.
- Database that allows parents to easily search for school bus stop
- Database that allows parents to search for possible allergens in the ingredients used in school meals
- Series of parent videos to help newcomers navigate the school system
- Easy access to the HISD news blog
“The district’s website receives nearly 9 million page views per month,” Superintendent Terry Grier said. “We turned to parents, staff, students, and community members to get their thoughts on how to improve the site, and then used that feedback to shape the content and design.”
The site, which is available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese, was built using the Schoolwires content management system. Currently, 188 of the district’s 279 schools use the same system for their campus websites.
Parents and community members are encouraged to explore the newly redesigned site and share their feedback by emailing the web team at email@example.com.