In-Service Exchange (Transfer) – Eligibility Certificate Instructions

Beginning April 7, 2010, active HISD employees must obtain an Eligibility Certificate for all in-service exchange requests initiated under the HISD 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans. Eligibility Certificates are generated only through Retirement Manager, and replace the need for a Plan Administrator’s Signature on the transaction forms. Please see the list of investment providers eligible to receive exchanges within the HISD 403(b) and 457 retirement plans.
To determine your eligibility for an in-service exchange, please visit the Retirement Manager website via the following link, click on the ‘Disbursements’ tab and follow the prompts to access an Eligibility Certificate. Your investment provider will require an Eligibility Certificate before processing your request for an in-service exchange. 
The attached Retirement Manager Disbursement Eligibility Certificate - Employee Guide contains all information and instructions necessary to request a loan, or hardship withdrawal Eligibility Certificate. A brief Loan & Hardship Presentation tutorial is also available online. For questions and assistance with generating an Eligibility Certificate from Retirement Manager, please contact your investment provider.
Most investment provider contracts are eligible to accept in-service exchanges. Also, investment provider contracts may accept transfers and rollovers of funds into the HISD 403(b) plan contracts, provided a separate account is established (no comingling) and maintained for such funds. Investment provider deferred sales charges and withdrawal penalties may apply to assets exchanged or transferred out of a provider contract. Please contact the investment providers for details. The provider list may change without notice. 
The following are the steps to guide you through the process:
Step 1: Contact the receiving investment provider and confirm their eligibility to receive the in- service exchange. Request exchange forms from the receiving provider. The receiving provider often assists the employee throughout the in-service exchange process.
Step 2: Contact the transferring investment provider and request in-service exchange forms if required by transferring provider. Investment provider withdrawal penalties and deferred sales charges may apply to assets exchanged (transferred) to the contract of another investment provider.
Step 3: Access the in- service exchange Eligibility Certificate from Retirement Manager, and print. ALL CERTIFICATES MUST HAVE A CERTIFICATE NUMBER AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.
Step 4: Submit all forms to the investment provider that will receive the funds, or as otherwise instructed by the investment providers. 
Tax-deferred retirement programs like 403(b) and 457(b) plans serve to supplement employer-sponsored pension plans such as the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS). The employer sponsored 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans are designed for long-term retirement planning and growth. However, if saving for short-term expenses or emergencies, employees are encouraged to use a savings method other than the 403(b) or 457 plans.