

**SDMC Meeting Minutes
November 17, 2020**

In Attendance

Agnes Perry	Derdlim Magana	Dina Adam	David Dzul
Bernice Sharkey	Rohini Varghese	Anita Jafferli	Sandra Rodriguez
Garth Boldman	Shannon Niaves	Torrey Bradley	Isabella Vasquez
Neda Khan	Raul Saldivar	Patricia Perez	
Hongyan Li	Nichole Ake	Analisa Goudeau	

Agenda

- Current Enrollment
- 2020-2021 Budget
- Applications for 2021-2022
- COVID update
- Virtual Learning
- Changes in 3rd cycle and/or 2nd semester schedules
- Student Council / Student Concerns

Perry: (Welcomed members.) Several items on agenda. The student council president asked to join the meeting. Is Torrey Bradley on?

Perry: Reminder of guidelines – topics should be received by the Monday before scheduled meeting. The aim is to finish by 5:30 PM.

Reading of Previous Minutes

Perry: Minutes – additions/corrections? Can put them in the chat

Varghese: Nothing in the chat.

New Business

Topic 1 Current Enrollment

Enrollment has increased. We will receive extra funding. What should we do with the extra money?

Discussion

Perry: Current enrollment – started with 939 kids. Four kids have withdrawn since; 935 students. Getting more money (January) \$65 and 75K. I wanted to bring forward to SDMC if you have any ideas how to utilize. I need to keep a portion for substitutes. Have supplies. More webcams coming. I don't know if there is anything pressing staff would like to purchase. I thought about adding another teacher – need one who can teach a little Science, a little Language – have closed hiring – can only hire nurses; if we have a position open, district will place someone here. Skeptical about ringing someone in who has not been vetted; cannot hire anyone from the outside – must take whoever is available. Thoughts?

Boldman: A class set of textbooks for kids who don't want to be on computers all day
20 a teacher would meet needs;

Perry: Can't purchase through HISD. HISD is not purchasing books, only digital copies; older versions; depends on the cost – if is \$30k for Social Studies, not fair; put that in writing

Boldman: Sounds good

Perry: Any other suggestions

Perry: Don't have to answer today, can talk to colleagues; will take under consideration;

Jafferli: Is it possible to buy a character ed program?

Perry: Do you have any information about company?

Jafferli: I have several ideas. Can compile a list.

Perry: That will be fine. Provide a list. Can you provide a review?

Jafferli: Yes, I have already been doing research.

Perry: Money here in January – must use or lose it; need to decide between now and January. I must maintain money for substitutes – general fund money

Magana: Can money be used for subscriptions (to apps)?

Perry: We can try.

Adam: Labs for Chemistry?

Perry: Would need to know the cost and if it's good for one year only. Is it based on the student?

Perry: Sounds feasible, especially in this virtual situation. And you are talking about 10th grade right?

Adams: Pivot Lab has Chemistry and Physics labs; is \$5/student; need to ask if fee includes Chem and Physics

Perry: I am sure you all will think of other opportunities. Get them to me after Thanksgiving so that we can research. Do you all understand why I can't hire a teacher...unless you know someone...would be like pulling teeth if they are not a good fit to get them to leave

Topic 2: Magnet Applications

Perry – The first round was the 7th of November; 1400 or 1500 applications – not as many as we have had in previous years; cutoff date is earlier this year; we only need 300 kids. Mr. Thornhill said that the students who applied qualified.

Topic 3: Covid-19 Update

Perry: Number of cases have risen; number of deaths have risen; need to encourage each other to continue to be safe; could go virtual, but no official word.

Discussion

Ake: Asking kids and faculty to take everything home?

Perry: Yes, students don't have lockers; teachers have more to drag around; take everything home Friday; many resources on campus; teachers, do you understand that you need to be prepared to stay at home? No incidences of Covid-19 on campus; have had students with various symptoms but we have not received confirmation that the students were positive. We had two close calls in the summer; the persons who were exposed were quarantined for 14 days; don't know if that puts everyone at ease but is what I know at the moment.

Topic 4: Virtual Learning - Proposed Changes in 3rd Cycle and or 2nd Semester Schedules

Discussion

Varghese: Teachers are getting overwhelmed; doing a lot at school and doing a lot at home; take a second look at the schedule - would a different format be more applicable? At Bellaire, they have their classes in the morning and then in the afternoon a specific content day for each student – kind of like what we did in Cycle 6.

Perry: CTE program is part of the issue; required to have so many minutes; TEA dictated hours/minutes ; we were required to include the office hours; would have to ask Dale; would need a sample; schedule would have to be approved; would have to keep the office hours; Bellaire is a neighborhood school; other schools use a similar schedule to ours; Bellaire is hybrid – many students; did not allow specialty schools to go hybrid.

Ake: Not doing Hybrid; few students.

Varghese: That's what I heard; I can bring it in to you and show you.

Perry: I will have to show it to Dale and Federal and State Compliance.

Varghese: I will bring it by to show you; think it would be feasible for teachers and students; would mitigate some of the issues we have had.

Perry: Teachers are not supposed to hold students; district parameters; AP requires more than on-level courses; students are saying teachers are teaching more than the 30 minutes and giving a lot of homework.

Ake: Not just AP; is AP and on-level – exorbitant amount of homework.

Perry: It's not supposed to be that way

Varghese: Looking at the schedule may help with this problem

Topic 5: Student Council – Student Concerns

Perry: Explain. Start with the first item.

Concern 1

Torrey Bradley: The first point was the teachers/students with synchronous/asynchronous - being penalized for leaving

Concern 1 Discussion

Perry: I have 52 teachers. If there is a specific course or specific teachers let me know and I will talk to the specific teacher.

Ake: I think the students are looking for something more anonymous.

Perry: The students have to talk to me. The only way I can do something about is to know who the teachers are. I want to target the teachers who are not following the guidelines. I will keep the students' names confidential.

Bradley: I don't have an issue with any of my classes. Is mainly an issue with student communication; teachers could have an anonymous form; common questions that address the concerns we see

Perry: Always had a survey at the end of the semester...maybe is too late

Concern 1 Suggestion

Jafferli: I have a form I have been using; can send to you, Ms. Perry and you can send it out if you like

Boldman: A consistent form would be good

Perry: Do you want the form to go to the teacher or to the teacher and administrators.

Perry: I'm not going to beat the teachers up. Maybe send to the teacher; if teacher doesn't respond, escalate to administrator. Ms. Jafferli, share form with Torrey

Varghese: Perry, there are two hands up.

Magana: Have presenters that go over

Perry: May be a conflict with testing or even attendance; as a suggestion, notify the teachers that there was a presenter; have speakers, but not everyday

Magana: Not every day; there is a form that students have to complete afterwards.

Perry: Is that something they can finish by 11:59 PM?

Magana: Yes.

David: Main idea behind Google form students having trouble in math and science classes in particular;

Jafferli: I know that we had a meeting this past weekend. A lot of students expressed their concerns.

I think a lot of students are scared to even approach teachers.

Perry: Everyone needs feedback; in general, it's how you present the information. Be respectful and you have rights. If you don't say anything, how are we supposed to know. Sometimes we have to be reminded. I hope students will take the risk. They have to know how to speak for themselves. Key is not offending anyone. We can work around this. And I hope the students will feel comfortable.

Adam: Sciences – sometimes we put them in groups and do virtual labs and the rest of the time they are with us the 90 minutes; direct instruction 30 minutes or virtual lab, students will benefit doing it together.

Perry: Thirty minutes of direct instruction and 60 minutes labs and homework are too much. I know how you feel, but TEA is saying that we have to be in the asynchronous mode; TEA is saying you have to tone it down; don't know what's going on with students – could be homeless – may not be in an environment where they can study – you don't know that – may not be in a situation where they can do all of that.

Adam: The group activities we do once a week; won't have activities after that.

Perry: You're giving assignments and the other teachers are too. Math is overwhelming to students
Torrey, second one.

Concern 2

Torrey Bradley: Three more that can be fixed with better communication – can be fixed with better communications – platforms – 9th graders don't like Quizizz – telling students to talk with the teachers

Concern 2 Discussion

Perry: I think that some of those platforms are quick ways to get grades and immediate feedback.

Varghese: OnTrack vs. HUB;

Bradley: HUB can move forward but can't move backwards;

Varghese: Students preferred paper; we are being told to use as many platforms as possible; teachers don't get to see student view so can't see what students see.

Li: Most of Torrey's questions can be solved with direct communication. Freshmen feel intimidated; quiz can be setup to move forward and backwards – just tell the teachers – we just need the feedback

Jafferli: A lot of students don't feel comfortable. They need an anonymous way to communicate.

Technically, (referring to the HUB) moving forward and backward are possible; problem is need timed assessments; is the only way for math to give.

Li: Many perspectives; I like the anonymous survey; after three weeks/end of cycle can release survey before problem is escalated to administrators.

Perry: Calling upon teachers; encouraging students to make sure atmosphere allows students to feel comfortable talking to them; we have to work on that.

Bradley: HUB pages are disorganized; can be fixed with better communication; calendar.

Jafferli: Teacher said is your job as a student; students missing deadlines because no clear indication.

Perry: Send me more specifics.

Bradley: Yes, I can do that.

Perry: You are invited to all meetings; need issues by January 19th.

Saldivar: 9th grade meeting will be 12- - 2020

Perry: Torrey, are you president of the Student Council?

Bradley: Yes, ma'am.

Perry: Think of things students can do online; have to think of new ideas – should be inclusive and appropriate.

Bradley: We have some ideas.

Perry: Maybe have the first competition in January.

Ake: Colleges doing some things – virtual bingo.

Perry: Mrs. Ake, can you send that to me? Maybe some students would like it.

Date of Next Meeting

January 19, 2021

Time of Adjournment

5:35 PM