How to Apply
- Review your student’s interest and needs to look for alignment with specific Magnet programs or Program Choice transfer options.
- Use the information and links at www.HoustonISD.org/SchoolChoice
- Consider how you will rank your choices. Families can select up to 10 school programs, with a maximum of 5 magnet programs. (Please note that, each high school CTE pathway chosen is considered a separate application/choice).
- Visit selected programs on School Choice Thursdays (for Magnet programs only). Please contact the Program Choice school for tour availability.
Visit www.HISDChoice.com to apply online.
- If you have used the system before, please use your previous account.
- Paper applications are available online, at any school, or from the Office of School Choice (Online applications provide more options for tracking and staying up-to-date).
- Make sure to sign and submit your applications.
- For elementary and middle school Magnet programs, only Vanguard applications may require documentation. All Program Choice applications will require documentation.
- Please be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application.
- By midnight on January 30, 2020, notification of acceptance for Phase 1 applicants. Status will be viewable online, and letters will be sent to all parents via USPS mail.
- By midnight on March 9, 2020, notification of acceptance for Phase 2 applicants. Status will be viewable online and via email.
- By midnight on May 1, 2020, notification of PK Phase 1 acceptance for Phase 1 applicants. Status will be viewable online and via email.
- If your student has been offered a seat in a program, you have two weeks to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement.
- If your student was not offered a seat on January 30, 2020, but has been placed on a wait list, stay alert for changes in application status (current HISD students can reapply through Feb. 28, 2020). You may be able to submit additional applications to programs with more room.
HELPFUL WEBSITES FOR MORE INFORMATION
SCHOOL CHOICE THURSDAYS
On the following Thursdays, you are welcome to tour any HISD Magnet school. Elementary and K-8 schools will host tours at 9:00 a.m., secondary schools at 1:00 p.m.
October: 3, 10, 17, 24
November: 7, 14, 21* December: 5*
On these dates all Magnet schools will offer tours at 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
SCHOOL CHOICE FAIRS
Sept 28: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Sterling HS
Oct. 12: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Washington HS
Nov. 2: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Sharpstown HS
Nov. 16: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Milby HS
Feb. 15: (Space Available Schools): 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Northside HS
Phase 1 (Sept. 27 - Dec. 6, 2019) Qualified in-district applications received during this phase will be entered into lotteries or be offered auditions.
Phase 2 (Dec. 7, 2019 – Feb. 28, 2020)
Qualified in-district applications received during this phase will be offered auditions or seats on a space available basis.
Phase 3 (March 1, 2020 – onward). In-district applicants new to HISD and out-of-district applications will be considered on a space available basis.