Due to the districtwide closure and current restrictions involving social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the application process for pre-K is now online only.
HISD is currently accepting applications for its full-day pre-K program at schools across the district, offering more 3- and 4-year-old students in our community with the opportunity to attend a high-quality program that will build a strong foundation of learning.
Due to precautions surrounding the coronavirus, pre-K application and enrollment timelines have been adjusted:
Qualified in-district, TEA Eligible and Tuition-based applications during this phase will be entered into lotteries but have separate notification dates.
How to enroll
- Parent income (check, award letter, child support, SSD)
- Proof of address (utility bill such as light, gas, water, or lease)
- Child’s original birth certificate
- Child’s immunization record
- Parent identification
Who can enroll
To be eligible for enrollment in a free, full-day pre-K program, a child must:
- Be 3 or 4 years of age on or before September 1 of the enrolling school year and a resident of HISD.
And meet one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak and understand English
- Economically disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program)
- Child of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Has ever been in state foster care
- Homeless (no documents needed to enroll)
- Child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award
Students who attend pre-K in the 2021-22 school year will benefit from engaging, age-appropriate, hands-on instruction, as well as:
- High-quality teachers in every classroom
- Optional bilingual classrooms
- After-school care (available at some campuses)
- Free breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Support to address mental and physical health, food and housing needs, and more
- Parent education classes
- Participate in HIPPY program (available at some campuses)
Children must live within HISD boundaries but do not have to be zoned to a specific campus to attend a pre-K program. A recent Rice University study found that HISD’s pre-K program significantly increases kindergarten readiness after as little as one year compared with students who do not attend pre-K. Research also shows that students who attend pre-K perform better in K-12 education, are more likely to graduate and earn higher wages as adults.
For more information about HISD pre-K application, email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the pre-K program, email email@example.com.