Thomas Judson Pilgrim joined Stephen F. Austin’s colony at San Felipe as a Latin teacher and Austin’s Spanish interpreter. In later years, he worked as a banker, farmer, and teacher in Gonzales and was a trustee of Gonzales College. The school named for him was built in 1957 at 3315 Barrington for the sesquicentennial of his birth. Originally known as Pilgrim Elementary School, the school changed its name in 2007 to the Pilgrim Academy, to reflect the school’s expansion to serve grades K–8. It moved to brand-new facilities at 6302 Skyline that same year.
The faculty, staff, parents and community of Pilgrim Academy are committed in providing a safe, creative and empowering learning environment that allows each and every student to achieve academic success and develop exemplary character.