Healthy Bodies Support Powerful Minds!
The MISSION of Houston ISD Health Services is to provide a safe and healthy environment in which students have the opportunity to benefit from education and achieve their maximum potential.
Our VISION is to transform all school communities into health settings that support access to equitable health assets for all students.
Services offered by the nurse include:
- Emergency first aid care.
- Management of students with chronic illnesses by creating and implementing a plan of care.
- Monitoring ill students until they are well enough to go back to class or be dismissed home.
- Conducting mandated screening programs, including referrals and follow-ups.
- Prevention and control of communicable diseases.
- Counseling students and families on health conditions and providing medical referrals.
- Monitoring and providing follow-up on immunization compliance according to state law.
- Administering necessary medication during school hours according to Houston ISD policy. **
- Collaboration with community agencies and campus staff to develop and implement campus health programs.
** A medication brought to the nurse must have the Request for Administration of Medication at School form filled out by a physician and signed by both the physician and the parent/guardian. A separate form must be completed for dose changes. A medication container must be in an original, properly labeled (pharmacy label) prescription. Medication, action plans, and dietary forms need to be renewed each school year.
Please help us keep your children and our schools healthy by:
- observing your child each day for cold-like symptoms, fever, itching on the skin and scalp, unusual rashes, vomiting/diarrhea, and nausea.
- keeping sick students at home and seeking medical attention for severe illness.
- encouraging your child to practice good hand hygiene.
- adopting healthy practices, such as disposing of used tissues and coughing into a sleeve rather than into the hand.
- keeping children home until free of fever for 24 hours (without fever-reducing medication)
PLEASE CALL THE SCHOOL NURSE WITH ANY HEALTH CONCERNS.