Magnet Application Steps
THE MAGNET APPLICATION FOR 2022-2023 IS OPEN FROM
SEPTEMBER 19, 2021 TO NOVEMBER 11, 2021
- Review your student’s interest and needs to look for alignment with specific Magnet programs or Program Choice transfer options.
- Use the information and links at www.HoustonISD.org/SchoolChoice
- Consider how you will rank your choices. Families can select up to 10 school programs, with a maximum of 5 magnet programs.
(It is recommended that parents weigh their options carefully and consider the following: if you apply to 5 Vanguard programs, and a student has not been identified as G/T prior to the Phase I deadline and subsequently does not qualify as G/T, the student will not be considered for any of the Vanguard programs you applied to. Additionally, each CTE pathway chosen is considered a separate application/choice).
- Visit selected programs on School Choice Thursdays (for Magnet programs only).
Visit www.HISDChoice.com to apply online.
- If you have used the system before, please use your previous account.
- Paper applications are available online, at any school, or from the Office of School Choice
(Online applications provide more options for tracking and staying up-to-date).
- Make sure to sign and submit your applications.
- Qualified applications submitted between Sep. 19 and Nov. 6, 2020, may be entered into lotteries if there are more applicants than seats offered. Deadline to be entered in the lottery is November 6, 2020.
- For elementary and middle school programs, only Vanguard Magnet applications may require documentation. All Program Choice applications will require documentation.
- Please be on the lookout for emails or phone calls related to your application.
- Check your SPAM folder to ensure you are not missing any information. If possible, do not use Hotmail account, as the service usually blocks emails from HISD.
- By midnight on January 28, 2021, notification of the application status will be viewable online, and letters will be sent to all parents via USPS mail.
- If your student has been offered a seat in a program, you have two weeks to provide proof of residence and sign an entrance agreement.
- If your student was not offered a seat on January 28, 2021, but has been placed on a wait list, stay alert for changes in application status (current HISD students can reapply through Feb. 11, 2021). You may be able to submit additional applications to programs with more room.
For more information, please contact Ms. Akhtar at 281-671-7001 or firstname.lastname@example.org