Adele B. Looscan Elementary School opened its doors to the public in 1936. Originally known as the Irvington Elementary School, the facility underwent a name change as a tribute to Adele Briscoe Looscan.
Adele B. Looscan
Mrs. Adele B. Looscan (1848-1935) was descended from both a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and a founding resident of Harris County. Throughout her lifetime, Adele Briscoe Looscan played a prominent role in the cultural growth of Houston. She served as the first president of the City Federation of Women’s Clubs. Mrs. Looscan was also instrumental in the initial movement for the establishment of a library for the citizens of Houston.
As a charter member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the Texas State Historical Society, Looscan wrote and published numerous articles on Texas history. Her collected works were donated to the Houston Public Library. A branch of the city library system was named in her honor in 1956.
Adele B. Looscan Elementary School has served the community for over seven decades. Our commitment to excellence in educating and socializing our students in preparation for participation in our ever advancing technological society remains our priority.