About Fondren Middle School
- Fondren has a rigorous academic program based on the standards required of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program. Becoming an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) campus requires extensive teacher training, consistent IB-team visits, curriculum review, and interviews throughout the school community.
- Fondren’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program allows for extensive scientific enrichment for its students.
- Our educators are highly qualified in International Baccalaureate, Project Base Learnings and Vanguard strategies.
- Fondren is a whole school International Baccalaureate Magnet Program. Students who live in our attendance zone are automatically admitted into the IB MYP Magnet Program and do not need to apply. All other students must submit an application through the HISD Magnet application process.
- Fondren holds the classification of neighborhood Vanguard school. Our advanced placement and gifted and talented classes are held to the same standard as Vanguard schools. Additionally, we offer Algebra and Technology classes for high school credit.
- Fondren serves grades 6th, 7th & 8th. Each grade level has its own Assistant Principal. 6th grade is housed on the first floor, and 7th and 8th grade are housed on the second floor.
- Fondren students adhere to a uniform. All students wear khaki slacks with polo type shirts. This system allows staff to monitor students and ensure safety.
- The school day is 8:30 am - 3:50 pm. The schedule includes 6 classes per day on a modified block. The IB program has 8 core content classes: English, Mathematics, Science, History, Foreign Language, Fine Arts, Technology, and Physical Education.