Thank you, for your interest in HISD’s Magnet pre-kindergarten programs. We would like to update you on the state guidelines that support pre-kindergarten programming and enrollment in Texas.
To be eligible for enrollment in HISD non-tuition based pre-kindergarten program, a child must:
- be 4 years of age on or before September 1st of the enrolling school year AND a resident of HISD.
- be unable to speak and comprehend the English language, or
- be economically disadvantaged (defined below), or
- meet any eligibility criteria for Head Start, or
- be homeless, as defined by [42 USC 11434a], or
- currently be or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code, or
- be the child of an active duty member of armed forces or child of an armed forces member injured, killed, or missing in action while on active duty, or
- be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer as defined in Section 3106.002, a firefighter as defined in Section 3106.003, or an emergency medical first responder as defined in Section 3106.004
If your child is not eligible for the HISD non-tuition based pre-kindergarten program and you have applied for a Magnet pre-kindergarten program for the 2022-2023 school year, your application will be labeled as “qualified pending." A “qualified pending” applicant will not be considered until after all eligible students have been offered service and a determination of space availability has been made by the Office of School Choice at a future date.