Providing Houston's youngest learners with the best education requires beginning the learning process as early as possible. That’s why HISD began offering full-day free prekindergarten programs to all eligible children in 2005.HISD offers prekindergarten on a tuition basis to students who do not meet the eligibility requirements to attend prekindergarten for free. Learn more about tuition-based prekindergarten here.
To be eligible for enrollment in a district free prekindergarten program, a child must:
AND meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be four years of age on or before September 1 of a given school year; Parents can complete and submit the 2018-2019 official prekindergarten application document to the school of their choice.
- Live within the boundaries of the Houston Independent School District
- Be homeless
- Be unable to speak or understand English
- Be economically disadvantaged
- Be the child of an active-duty member of the U.S. military or one who has been killed, injured, or missing in action while on active duty
- Child is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family code
- All children who meet any eligibility criteria for Head Start, not only those who meet the low-income eligibility criteria for Head Start.
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer as defined in Section 3106.002, a firefighter as defined in Section 3106.003, or an emergency medical first responder as defined in Section 3106.004.
Intent to Apply: Intent to Apply documents can be used to apply before April 1, 2019. Beginning April 1, 2019, the official prekindergarten application is used. Please click here for the Intent to Apply Form.Applications: Official prekindergarten applications for the 2019-2020 school year are available April 1, 2019. The applications below are the “official” prekindergarten applications that must be filled out to register for prekindergarten for the 2019-2020 academic year. Parents with children who will be 4 years of age on or before September 1, and meet other eligibility requirements can complete the 2019-2020 prekindergarten applications.
HISD policy on three-year-olds
HISD policy gives priority for enrollment in the prekindergarten program to eligible students who are at least four years of age on September 1, 2019. If additional space is available and there is no waiting list for eligible four-year-old students and non-eligible tuition-paying four-year-old students who reside in HISD, schools have the option of enrolling students who are 3 years of age on September 1, 2019 provided they meet the eligibility requirements. All three-year-old students are to be placed on a waitlist by birth-month until August 29, 2019.