Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a civil rights law that protects individuals with disabilities from discrimination.
The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, state and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation. The ADA was amended in 2008.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR SECTION 504/ADA PROTECTION?
To be eligible under Section 504/ADA, a student must be determined to:
1. Have a physical or mental impairment.
2. The physical or mental impairment must limit one or more major life activities.
3. The impact of the physical or mental impairment must be substantial.
HOW DO I REQUEST A SECTION 504/ADA EVALUATION?
A student can be referred for a Section 504/ADA evaluation by the parent or school personnel. All parent requests and school referrals for Section 504/ADA support are facilitated by the campus Intervention Assistance Teams (IAT).
WHAT DO ELIGIBLE STUDENTS GET UNDER SECTION 504/ADA?
Once a student is determined eligible for Section 504/ADA, needed accommodations are provided to mitigate the student’s impairment so that the student can participate in academic and extra-curricular activities.
Ashford ES Contacts
Aledwina Townsend, SPED Chair - BSC & Resource - firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Roberson, SPED Co-Chair - ECSE - email@example.com
LaQuita Small, IAT/504 Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Kylene Vasquez, Principal - email@example.com Direct Line: 713-556-3709
Ashford ES Campus-Wide Meeting Schedule
- -Tuesdays are reserved for IAT/504 meetings
- -Wednesdays are reserved for ARD meetings
- *There is flexibility on scheduling if a parent cannot make the campus-wide designated dates