Students build self-confidence and self-awareness while also learning how to think quickly on their feet through improvisation. Group work requires cooperation and collaboration. As students actively explore characters and situations of their own imagining, and in written scripts, they build on their ability to empathize and understand. All of these benefits have an impact on their work in other subject areas. Probably the most evident benefit drama provides, however, is a confidence to perform in front of others and to express ideas confidently.Yearly Drama Activities
- Performs annually at the Texas Renaissance Fairs School Days. Past Productions include; Richard III, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Hamlet, Twelfth Night and Taming of the Shrew
- Takes part in The HISD One Act Festival receiving "Superior" ratings as well as several acting awards .
- Produces two Junior version musicals per year. Past productions have included; Bye Bye Birdie, The Wizard of Oz, Guys and Dolls, The King and I, Mary Poppins, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Little Mermaid, Mulan and many, many more
- Participates in The HISD Elementary School Shakespeare Festival, Productions include Macbeth, Hamlet and A midsummer Night's Dream.
- Created a Summer Program that produces a musical in less than a month. Past productions include; Once on this Island, Singing in the Rain, Peter Pan and Aladdin.
- For the third year in a row, we have taken 30 plus performing students to New York City. They are able to see a Broadway show, take a Broadway workshop with a working Broadway performer, and participate in a dance class at the Alvin Ailey Dance Company
- The departments has working relationships with The Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS), The Alley Theatre and Opera in the Heights (OH!)
- Fully produced short film "The Ice Wolf"
- Opening act for The Tommy Tunes Awards
- Found member of HISD's Elementary Shakespeare Festival
- Regular showings of HISD TV
- HISD New Teacher Academy opening act
- Partnership with Opera in the Heights
- Partnership with Theatre Under the Stars
- The Houston Symphony Residence from 2015-2018
- Special request performance for former Superintendent, Richard Carranza
- Performance for HISD Board members
- Workshop with TUTS and OH!
- Martin Luther King Competition Winner: Nhedrick Jabier
- Superior ratings at both The Texas Renaissance Fair and UIL