About Our School
Mark White Elementary is a new school constructed as part of the 2012 HISD bond project. It is located on a beautifully wooded piece of land, just north of Westheimer on Old Farm Road. During the planning process of the school, special consideration was given to the preservation of the wooded site. The school is named after Governor Mark White of Texas and will be opening in August 2016.
Mark White Elementary is....
- A non-zoned school, which means there is no attendance boundary.
- It is a boundary option school for Briargrove, Emerson, Pilgrim, and Piney Point.
- We offer unique programming-
- French Dual Language Immersion in PK, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade for the 2017-2018 school year. We will be adding 2nd Grade for the 2018-2019 school year. For students who live outside of the Briargrove, Emerson, Pilgrim, and Piney Points zone, and are interested in French Immersion, he/she may apply for a transfer. Transfers will be approved based on space available.
- Energy and Ecology-
Our school will be a certified Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) campus, which means we are in the process of receiving certification as a green building that conserves resources and promotes clean and renewable energy. We plan to develop a curriculum that promotes green living, sustainability, and utilizes our natural surroundings for project-based learning, which incorporates the exploration of earth and life sciences.
- Global Education-At Mark White Elementary, we are committed to developing students who are prepared for the 21st century. We will work on developing characteristics within our students that prepare them to be successful in college and compete in today's global marketplace. We will offer a curriculum focused on conceptual learning, cultural awareness, and a global perspective.