Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS)
HOW CAN I BECOME A VIPS?
All volunteers must register online. All volunteers must pass an annual criminal background check
before they can participate as a volunteer. Please follow the steps below to become a VIPS:
Step 1: Register online and complete the entire Online Application in Raptor Volunteer
Management System and submit your application.
- English Application - http://houstonisd.org/vipslogin
- Spanish Application - http://houstonisd.org/voluntarios
STEP 2: Once your application is completed you will see Pending Review on the screen.
STEP 3: An email regarding your approved status will be sent to your email address within 2-3 weeks.
If you do not receive an email, please follow-up with your designated school's VIPS Coordinator.
STEP 4: Once you are APPROVED, you are eligible to volunteer in any HISD school(s) for
the current school year. Our students benefit when we all volunteer!
HOW CAN I REQUEST AN APPEAL?
Any parent, grandparent, or guardian who is a registered volunteer and whose criminal history
background check reveals a violation of HISD policy may appeal the criminal history restrictions
precluding their service as a volunteer through a process of review by the Human Resources
Department. The VIPS Appeal Form can be accessed at HoustonISD.org/Page/140835.
How CAN I REQUEST AN APPEAL?
What types of photo identification are accepted?
- Texas Driver’s License • Driver’s License (any state in the U.S.)
- Official Passport • Texas Identification Card
- Official U. S. Military ID • Driver’s License (any state in the U.S.)
- Matricula Consular • Identification Card (any state in the U.S.)
- Resident Alien Card