Vanguard is the name for HISD’s gifted and talented program (GT). To be designated as a GT student, one must demonstrate academic performance above and beyond the average student. The district uses measures in achievement and ability to determine whether a student qualifies as a GT student.
A magnet school allows for HISD students that do not live in the zoned area to attend the school through a lottery transfer process.
As a designated Vanguard Magnet program, River Oaks Elementary allows for HISD GT qualified students who do not live in the zoned area to apply for admissions.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Zoned Students: Kindergarten Roundup is held in April to provide information to zoned neighborhood families. Enrollment begins in May.
- Tours: Tours and information meetings are held selected Thursday mornings at 9:00 a.m. from October through December. Additional tours will be conducted at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 28th and Thursday, December 5th.
- Magnet Applications: The Magnet Application deadline is Friday, December 6, 2019. Applications are available online through the HISD Office of School Choice website at hisdchoice.com .
- Notification: Application status will be available online in March 2020.
- GT Testing: In order to qualify for ROE’s Vanguard Magnet program, students must be identified as Gifted and Talented through HISD’s testing program.
- Kindergarten Applicants – parents will choose a testing location date and site through the online application
- Grades 1-5 Applicants – Due to our large current enrollment, we will not be accepting applications in grades 1-5 for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Kindergarten Neighborhood students – zoned students that enroll at ROE and are not already identified as gifted and talented will be tested at ROE in the Fall Semester of Kindergarten
- Siblings: Preference for siblings of current ROE students is only granted for Kindergarten magnet applicants. A limited number of sibling vacancies is available.
Click here for the Smart Choice application website