Vanguard Magnet Program InformationFor Vanguard Magnet inquiries, contact Mrs. Erin Van Pelt, Magnet Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for all Magnet Application processing and testing information.Vanguard is the name for HISD’s gifted and talented program (GT). To be designated as a GT student, one must demonstrate academic performance above and beyond the average student. The district uses measures in achievement and ability to determine whether a student qualifies as a GT student.A magnet school allows for HISD students that do not live in the zoned area to attend the school through a lottery transfer process.As a designated Vanguard Magnet program, River Oaks Elementary allows for HISD GT qualified students who do not live in the zoned area to apply for admissions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tours: Tours and information meetings are held every Thursday mornings at 9:00 a.m. from September 23 through November 11. For the 2021-2022 school year, all tours will be virtual. Please visit this link to join the tour.
- Magnet Applications: The Magnet Application deadline is Thursday, November 11, 2021. Applications are available online through the HISD Office of School Choice website at hisdchoice.com.
- Notification: Application status will be available online in January 2022.
- GT Testing: In order to qualify for ROE’s Vanguard Magnet program, students must be identified as Gifted and Talented through HISD’s testing program.
- Kindergarten Applicants – Parents will choose a testing location and date through the online application.
- Grades 1-5 Applicants – We will be accepting applications in grades 1-5 for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Kindergarten Neighborhood students – Zoned students that enroll at ROE and are not already identified as gifted and talented will be tested at ROE in the Fall semester of Kindergarten.
- Siblings: Preference for siblings of current ROE students is only granted for Kindergarten magnet applicants. A limited number of sibling vacancies is available.
Magnet Application timeline
Click here for the School Choice website.
- September 10, 2021 – Magnet applications are open.
- November 11, 2021 – Deadline for Magnet applications.
- January 21, 2022 – Notification Date.
- The official notification of a students’ lottery outcome will be viewable within the online application dashboard.
- TBA – Deadline for accepting your seat.
- Documentation (recent proof of residency and a signed Magnet entrance agreement) must be turned in.
- Students will remain on the waitlist of all programs which parents ranked higher than the highest program to which a seat is offered.