Vanguard Magnet Program InformationFor Vanguard Magnet inquiries, contact Mrs. Bomersbach, Magnet Coordinator, at email@example.com for all Magnet Application processing and testing information.Vanguard is the name for HISD’s gifted and talented program (GT). To be designated as a GT student, one must demonstrate academic performance above and beyond the average student. The district uses measures in achievement and ability to determine whether a student qualifies as a GT student.A magnet school allows for HISD students that do not live in the zoned area to attend the school through a lottery transfer process.As a designated Vanguard Magnet program, River Oaks Elementary allows for HISD GT qualified students who do not live in the zoned area to apply for admissions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tours: Tours and information meetings are held every Thursday mornings at 9:00 a.m. from October through December. Additional tours will be conducted at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 21st & Thursday, December 5th. An appointment is not necessary.
- Magnet Applications: The Magnet Application deadline is Friday, December 6, 2019. Applications are available online through the HISD Office of School Choice website at hisdchoice.com .
- Notification: Application status will be available online in January 30 2020.
- GT Testing: In order to qualify for ROE’s Vanguard Magnet program, students must be identified as Gifted and Talented through HISD’s testing program.
- Kindergarten Applicants – Parents will choose a testing location and date through the online application.
- Grades 1-5 Applicants – Due to our large current enrollment, we will not be accepting applications in grades 1-5 for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Kindergarten Neighborhood students – zoned students that enroll at ROE and are not already identified as gifted and talented will be tested at ROE in the Fall 2020 semester of Kindergarten.
- Siblings: Preference for siblings of current ROE students is only granted for Kindergarten magnet applicants. A limited number of sibling vacancies is available.
HISD School Choice- FAQ
Magnet Application timeline
Click here for the School Choice application website
- September 27, 2019 – Magnet applications are open.
- December 6, 2019 – Deadline for Magnet applications.
- January 30, 2020 – Notification Date.
- The official notification of a students’ lottery outcome will be viewable within the online application dashboard.
- February 14, 2020 – Deadline for accepting your seat.
- Documentation (recent proof of residency and a signed Magnet entrance agreement) must be turned in.
- Students will remain on the waitlist of all programs which parents ranked higher than the highest program to which a seat is offered.