How do I become a student observer in Houston ISD?
All student observers must complete an online application to be considered for observations and must pass a criminal background check before reporting to an HISD campus. The process can take up to two weeks from submission to final approval.
Note: A signed approval form from either an ACP, college, or university program stating the need to complete observation hours or field experience is required. Failure to upload this form to the application will eliminate the application from consideration.
Phase 1: Complete the online application
- Upload the program observation or field experience approval form to the application. Failure to upload this form to the application will eliminate the application from consideration.
Phase 2: Criminal Background Check
If a student observer has previously created an account with HISD, the same account may be used to apply for student observations
- Log in to the account
- Under “Vacancy Desired” click “In Category:”
- Select “Student Teacher”
- Click “Search”
- Select “JobID: 68914 Student Observer 2019-2020”
- Upload the required form in the "Supplemental Document" section
- Click “Finish and Submit”
- The background check can take up to 2 weeks to complete.
Phase 3: Approval
- Once the background check has been CLEARED, observations are authorized at all HISD campuses.
- A status communication will be sent from TeacherRecruitment@houstonisd.org.
- The email confirmation can be provided by the student observer to the campus staff as proof of district approval.